River Cats Slug Their Way Past 51s, 7-1July 15, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Sacramento River Cats
Taylor's three-run shot in the first was all Sacramento would need to beat the 51s thanks to the one-run game thrown by the River Cats pitching staff. Starter Bruce Billings gave up just two hits and two walks while striking out seven in six shutout innings of work. Righty Arnold Leon had two scoreless inning of his own, while Merkin Valdez gave up one run in the top of the ninth, sealing the 7-1 victory.
With a three-run lead in the bottom of the fourth, Anthony Recker extended his team's advantage to four with a line-drive home run to left field. In the sixth, Jermaine Mitchell tripled-home Luke Hughes, then shortstop Eric Sogard cleared the bases with a two-run home run to right field on the very next pitch.
The River Cats carried a shutout into the top of the ninth inning, where Valdez allowed a leadoff home run to Travis Snider. The homer would be the 51s' only run and only extra-base hit.
Taylor finished 2-for-3 with three RBIs and a run scored. Mitchell and Recker each logged two hits, while Kila Ka'aihue went 0-for-2 with three walks. All seven of the River Cats' runs were driven in by either a home run or a triple.
With the win, Billings moves to 5-3 on the year with a 3.31 ERA. After giving up a leadoff walk to Anthony Gose in the third, Billings retired the next 12 batters in a row before being lifted to begin the seventh.
The River Cats try for their second win in a row on U.S. Bank Sunday Funday during Dinger's Birthday Bash. The game begins at 1:05 p.m. and will feature River Cats right-handed pitcher Brad Peacock (6-6, 7.12 ERA) facing 51s right-hander Scott Richmond (7-5, 5.66 ERA).
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 15, 2012
- 'Topes Rally to Salvage Doubleheader Split with Sounds - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with Isotopes on Sunday - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Rout Zephyrs, 12-3 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Feliz Scheduled to Rehab at the Dell Diamond Friday - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Stumble Late Against Sky Sox, 7-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tucson Padres Rained out Sunday - Tucson Padres
- Round Rock Express, Memphis Finale Rained Out - Round Rock Express
- Aces Edge Bees in Finale, 5-3 - Reno Aces
- Omaha Defeated by Iowa, 9-1, in Sunday Matinee - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Power Past 51s, 12-5 - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs Breeze Past the Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: July 15, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Rainiers Clobber Colorado Springs, 16-9 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tucson beats Fresno - Tucson Padres
- River Cats Slug Their Way Past 51s, 7-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Clip Aces, 4-3 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.