Seven Is Unlucky for Cubs in OmahaJuly 14, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
Omaha's second-inning rally started with one out when Cubs' starter Randy Wells hit David Lough with a pitch. Anthony Seratelli and Derrick Robinson followed with singles to load the bases before Wells walked Adam Moore to force in the first run. Irving Falu followed with a line drive double to right that chased in two more runners and Johnny Giavotella cued a single down the right field line to drive in two more. Wil Myers was next and he capped the rally by blasting a 3-1 pitch to deep left for his 15th home run of the season for Omaha and his 28th overall. He hit 13 at double-A to begin the season. Wells (3-3) would face three more batters, but came out of the game after hitting Lough with a pitch for the second time in the frame. Casey Coleman came in and got Seratelli to pop out to end the inning.
Coleman would pitch 5.1 innings of scoreless relief in the game. He allowed three hits, one walk, and struck out three. The Cubs threw out a man trying to steal and turned a double play behind Coleman, who faced just two batters over the minimum for his outing. Alberto Cabrera finished the game on the mound for the Cubs with a scoreless eighth.
Omaha starter Jake Odorizzi (6-0) worked around a lot of base runners to hold the Cubs to one run over six innings. He allowed seven hits and walked four, but also struck out four - including three to end an inning. The Cubs stranded 10 men on base while Odorizzi was in the game. Jim Adduci had two hits and a walk against him and scored the Cubs only run on a sacrifice fly by Dave Sappelt in the third inning. Roman Colon, Blaine Hardy, and Ryan Verdugo each pitched a scoreless inning to finish the game for the Storm Chasers.
Josh Vitters was 1-for-5 with a double in the fifth inning to extend his hitting streak to 13 games. His is the longest hitting streak for a Cubs' player this season.
The Cubs and Storm Chasers wrap up this series tomorrow afternoon at 2:05 at Werner Park. LH Chris Rusin (6-6, 4.69) will start for the Cubs against RH Nate Adcock (4-2, 4.32) for the Storm Chasers. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 with the On-Deck Circle Pre-Game Show starting at 1:45.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 14, 2012
- Zephyrs Blank RedHawks, 8-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Zephyrs Pound RedHawks 8-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- The Chasers Thump the I-Cubs, 7-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Seven Is Unlucky for Cubs in Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Fall to Memphis 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- Rangers Recall C Luis Martinez; Option RHP Yoshinori Tateyama - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes and Sounds Doubleheader Washed Out - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds, Isotopes Postponed on Saturday Night - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes: July 14, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Fall To Colorado Springs In Extras, 4-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Roll to 7-2 Victory over Salt Lake - Reno Aces
- Fresno wins 8-5 - Tucson Padres
- Straily Dominates But River Cats Lose to 51s, 1-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- New Orleans Takes Back-and-Forth Battle, 10-8 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Smith, Storm Chasers Snap Cubs' Winning Streak - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.