Levesque to Retire Following Chelsea MatchJuly 13, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Seattle Sounders FC
"Roger exemplifies what it means to be a Sounder," said Sounders FC head coach Sigi Schmid. "He has character, determination, work ethic, skill and a never-say-die attitude for the club on the field. He has represented the Sounders organization well through his charitable work in the Seattle community."
Levesque, 31, signed with Sounders FC on March 16, 2009 after spending nearly six seasons (2003-08) with the USL-1 Sounders. Levesque made 53 appearances (18 starts) for Seattle and scored six goals with two assists in his three and a half MLS seasons with the club. He added another three goals and eight assists in U.S. Open Cup and CONCACAF Champions League play, including the game-winning goal in the 2009 Open Cup final.
"I would like to thank the Sounders organization for giving me the opportunity to play professionally for the past nine years," said Levesque. "I am fortunate to see the sport grow in such a great city, and to be a part of it for so long. I'm proud of my community work and I look forward to continuing my involvement with the Seattle community."
Prior to joining Sounders FC, the seven-year MLS veteran spent three seasons with San Jose after being selected by the Earthquakes 23rd overall in the 2003 MLS SuperDraft. He made four appearances in his three seasons with San Jose, spending much of his time playing on loan for the USL-1 Sounders before signing with the club in 2006. In his six seasons with the USL side, Levesque scored 27 goals in 130 regular season matches, helping the team to the league championship in 2005 and 2007 and the Open Cup semifinals in 2007 and 2008. A graduate of Stanford University, Levesque was also named MLS Humanitarian of the Month in May of 2012.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 13, 2012
- Earthquakes to Defend Western Conference Lead vs. Real Salt Lake on Saturday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Academy Midfielder Dillon Serna Named to U.S. U-20 Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Former NASL Sounder Legend Roger Davies to Receive Golden Scarf - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Jamaican International Richards and Allocation Money from Red Bulls for Le Toux - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- First Place Sporting KC Visits Columbus Crew on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Levesque to Retire Following Chelsea Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - July 15 vs. D.C. United - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Launch New Food Cart Alliance Program - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview at San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Tyson Wahl in Trade with Montreal - Colorado Rapids
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot from Colorado for Defender Tyson Wahl - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC Trade de Guzman to FC Dallas - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Trio Loaned out for Weekend Matches - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.