Rafters Split Doubleheader, Crushing Express in Game TwoJuly 9, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
Game one began in the top of the fifth with one out and the bases loaded with the Rafters down 5-2. A continuation of a rain suspended game started well for Wisconsin Rapids. Kenny Towns (FR, Univ. of Virginia) got back-to-back outs to keep the game at 5-2 and give the Rafters a fighting chanceand fight they did.
The teams traded a run, but in the top of the ninth, Eau Claire's Nick Addison hit another bomb, his second of the game and fourth in three games against Wisconsin Rapids to make in 8-3. The Rafters didn't give up. In the bottom half of the ninth, the first six Rafters reached, to make it 8-6 with the bases loaded and nobody out. Brandon Downes (FR, Univ. of Virginia) would fly out though. Brandon Hohl (JR, Univ. of Illinois) grounded into a double-play to end it.
Shane Adler (FR, Madison College), over a week after being waived by the team, took the loss in his first decision, as he started the game back on June 20th. Sean Renzi (3-3) picked up the win, and Tony Vocca collected his second save.
In game two, the Rafters jumped out quickly and never looked back. Eau Claire committed an error in the first to score Alex Bacon (SO, Univ. of South Florida) who would go 3-for-3 with a walk, three runs scored, and club his team-leading sixth homer. With a 2-0 lead after one, the Rafters added five in the third inning. Pat Kelly (FR, Univ. of Nebraska) joined Bacon with a homer, his first, a three-run shot to make it 6-0. Josh Cyr (Univ. of North Alabama) also knocked in a run.
Ben Heller (JR, Olivet Nazarene) went 6.1 innings for his third win (3-2). The right-hander struck out seven batters, walking just three, on his way to three earned runs allowed. Drew Ghelfi, who was crushed for 6 runs in 2+ innings took the loss, his fourth.
The Rafters (19-20) travel to Eau Claire (12-27) for the final game of the series before returning home Wednesday and Thursday to host the La Crosse Loggers. First pitch from Carson Park is at 6:35 pm.
The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters are members of the 16-team summer collegiate Northwoods League. The Rafters will play a 70 game schedule with 35 home games in 2012. All games are broadcast on AM 1320 WFHR or at www.WFHR.com with live video feed from the home team at NorthwoodsLeague.tv. Available quantities of all promotional giveaways will vary from event to event and will be available on a first come, first serve basis. The best way to guarantee giveaway items is to purchase a 9-Game Package by calling the Rafters ticket office at 715-424-5400. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. For more information, visit www.raftersbaseball.com.
Northwoods League Stories from July 9, 2012
- Bucks to Hold Youth Baseball Camp on July 14 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rafters Split Doubleheader, Crushing Express in Game Two - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Honkers Pounded by Stingers 21-11 - Rochester Honkers
- Beaty Powers Beetles to 7-2 Win - Alexandria Beetles
- Green Bay Bullfrogs Shut out Madison Mallards to Snap Losing Skid - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Road Woes Continue as Mallards Fall 4-0 to Green Bay - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Win 4 Straight, Tip Toe Past Chinooks 6-5 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Lakeshore Chinooks to Host Olympic Night with Bonnie Blair - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Lindauer Named Young Plumbing and Heating Player of the Week - Waterloo Bucks
- Mallards Look to Find Their Way in Green Bay - Madison Mallards
- Rox Rally Falls Short - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.