Stars Lose Finale with SunsJuly 9, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
A night after hitting a season-high six home runs, the Stars were only able to manage their sole run of the game in the third inning. With one out, center fielder Josh Prince reached base on an infield single and then advanced to second on a throwing error from Suns third baseman Curt Smith. Then, while trying to steal third, a throwing error by Suns starting pitcher Zack Neal allowed Prince to score to give Huntsville a 1-0 lead.
Unfortunately, that would be the only run support Stars starting pitcher Hiram Burgos would get. The 24-year-old righty earned a no-decision after giving up just one run (unearned) on one hit through seven innings of work. Burgos also struck out four batters. He took a perfect game into the fifth inning, before giving up a leadoff single to Curt Smith.
With the game tied at 1-1 in the eighth inning, Stars reliever Darren Byrd came into the ballgame to replace Burgos. After giving up a leadoff walk to first baseman Ben Lasater and a sacrifice bunt, a pinch-hit RBI single from Shawn Bowman gave Jacksonville the lead for good.
In the ninth inning, the Suns scored their final run on a RBI single by right fielder Kyle Jensen off of Stars RHP Brandon Kintzler to make the score 3-1.
On the pitching side, reliever Jordan Conley earned the win for Jacksonville in two innings of scoreless relief. Suns closer A.J Ramos notched his ninth save on the season with scoreless final two innings.
For the Stars, Byrd took the loss to fall to 2-3 on the season.
On offense, the Stars got another multi-hit game from first baseman Hunter Morris, who went 2-for-4 with a double. Morris finished the series 7-for-13 with three home runs and seven runs batted in.
Southern League Stories from July 9, 2012
- Lee Ties Franchise-Record Hit-Streak in 3-1 Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Take Series in Montgomery with 3-1 Win - Jackson Generals
- Wahoos Take over Sole Possession of First Place - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Beeler Leads Smokies to 4-3 Win over Lookouts Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Lose Finale with Suns - Huntsville Stars
- Reds Prospects Lotzkar & Hamilton Participate in Futures Game - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Sena Returns from Tacoma, Stanton to High Desert - Jackson Generals
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Hunter Morris Named SL Hitter of the Week - Huntsville Stars
- Sean Gilmartin SL Pitcher of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- White Sox Pitcher Philip Humber to Make Rehab Start with Barons - Birmingham Barons
- Hank Aaron to Throw out First Pitch Friday Night - Mobile BayBears
- Barons Open Three-Game Set against the Tennessee Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- OF Davis Activated; INF Sanchez to Nashville - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.