Reds Prospects Lotzkar & Hamilton Participate in Futures GameJuly 9, 2012 - Southern League (SL) - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
Lotzkar, a native of Delta, British Columbia, Canada, fired a scoreless inning for the World team in the United States vs. World exhibition, yielding just one run. The right-hander has been recognized by MLB.com as the No. 18 prospect in the Reds organization and owns a 4-3 record and 4.72 ERA in 11 games (ten starts) for the Fish.
Hamilton, who has been tabbed the top prospect among Reds Minor Leaguers and rumored to be promoted to Pensacola in the near future, led off and played shortstop for the United States squad. The 21-year-old drove home two runs with a triple to deep center field as part of a 17-5 victory for the United States.
The speedster leads all of baseball, including the Minor and Major Leagues, with 104 steals in his 82 games for High-A Bakersfield this year. He is currently in pursuit of the all-time stolen base record in Minor League Baseball of 145, which was set by then St. Louis Cardinals farmhand Vince Coleman in 1983 with Single-A Macon.
The Blue Wahoos finish their six-game homestand tonight against the Mobile BayBears, the Double-A affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks, with first pitch set for 7:00 p.m. at Pensacola Bayfront Stadium. RHP Daniel Corcino, the Reds' top pitching prospect according to MLB.com, is expected to get the nod for Pensacola while Mobile is scheduled to send RHP Derek Eitel to the mound.
Tickets for the contest are still available and can be purchased online at BlueWahoos.com or at the Hill Kelly Dodge Pickup Window at the front of the bayfront stadium.
The Pensacola Blue Wahoos are the Double-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds. The team's inaugural 2012 season is underway but it's not too late to book 2012 group outings. Mini plans and single-game tickets are still available by calling (850) 934-8444 or online. Follow Pensacola Baseball at bluewahoos.com, facebook.com/PensacolaBlueWahoos, and twitter.com/BlueWahoosBBall.
Southern League Stories from July 9, 2012
- Lee Ties Franchise-Record Hit-Streak in 3-1 Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Take Series in Montgomery with 3-1 Win - Jackson Generals
- Wahoos Take over Sole Possession of First Place - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Beeler Leads Smokies to 4-3 Win over Lookouts Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Lose Finale with Suns - Huntsville Stars
- Reds Prospects Lotzkar & Hamilton Participate in Futures Game - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Sena Returns from Tacoma, Stanton to High Desert - Jackson Generals
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Hunter Morris Named SL Hitter of the Week - Huntsville Stars
- Sean Gilmartin SL Pitcher of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- White Sox Pitcher Philip Humber to Make Rehab Start with Barons - Birmingham Barons
- Hank Aaron to Throw out First Pitch Friday Night - Mobile BayBears
- Barons Open Three-Game Set against the Tennessee Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- OF Davis Activated; INF Sanchez to Nashville - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.