International League Names Players of the WeekJuly 9, 2012 - International League (IL)
July 2-8. Matusz was named IL Pitcher of the Week almost exactly one year ago in the days that immediately followed the 2011 Triple-A All-Star Game. This marks the second time in 2012 a team has swept the IL weekly awards (Gwinnett's Ernesto Mejia and Todd Redmond, May 14-20). The last time the Tides won both awards simultaneously was the week of August 10-16, 1987 (Terry Blocker and Reggie Dobie).
NATE MCLOUTH, Norfolk Tides IL BATTER OF THE WEEK
Norfolk outfielder Nate McLouth led the International League this week with five home runs, 12 RBI, a 1.040 slugging percentage, and nine runs scored. Seven of his eight hits went for extra-bases, beginning with a walk-off home run Monday night to give the Tides the first of five victories this week. McLouth was hitting just .205 entering the week.
30-year-old Nate McLouth is a former Major League All-Star. He began the 2012 campaign with the Pittsburgh Pirates, but was designated for assignment in late May after hitting .140. He signed with the Orioles on June 5. McLouth is a native of Muskegon, Michigan.
BRIAN MATUSZ, Norfolk Tides IL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Left-hander Brian Matusz made his first Triple-A start of the season on Friday night, recently sent to the Tides from Baltimore. He turned in a gem in his 2012 Tides debut, scattering four singles and shutting out the first place Charlotte Knights. Matusz out-pitched the rehabbing Philip Humber, who tossed a perfect game for the Chicago White Sox earlier this season. Matusz struck out four and walked just one, throwing 81 of his 114 pitches for strikes.
25-year-old Brian Matusz was drafted by the Orioles in 2008 and made his big league debut little more than a year later. Matusz is a native of Grand Junction, Colorado.
International League Stories from July 9, 2012
- Johnson Finishes Second in Triple-A HR Derby - Charlotte Knights
- Tides Attempting to Set Record for Biggest BLT Sandwich - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Yankees Name New Leadership Team - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr. to Appear in Rochester August 7 - Rochester Red Wings
- International League Adds Buffalo-Native INF Jim Negrych to All-Star Roster - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs to Host Breast Cancer Awareness Night on July 20 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Negrych Added as Chiefs' Fourth All-Star - Syracuse Chiefs
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.