Columbus Brings Offensive Fireworks, Beats Hens 13-3 on Fourth of JulyJuly 4, 2012 - International League (IL) Toledo Mud Hens
Columbus exploded to a quick 3-0 lead in the top of the first after Matt LaPorta, Russ Canzler and Chad Huffman connected for three straight RBI doubles off Andy Oliver.
The Hens responded quickly though as Danny Worth led off the bottom of the inning with his fourth homer of the season, cutting the deficit to 3-1.
Another double for Russ Canzler in the fifth brought home two and allowed the Clippers to take a 5-1 lead off Oliver. Brooks Brown came on in relief for Oliver and surrendered a grand slam to Ryan Rohlinger to stretch the deficit to eight.
Oliver's day was his shortest of the season after he allowed six hits and eight runs in 2.1 innings of work.
The Mud Hens picked up some more in the fourth after John Lindsey doubled in two runs to cut the Clippers lead to 9-3.
Brooks Brown surrendered three more in the fifth and one in the sixth as the Clippers took a 13-3 lead. Brown surrendered five runs on ten hits over 3.2 innings of relief for Oliver.
The Hens will look for a win and a series split in the finale tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. LHP Adam Wilk is scheduled to make the start for the Hens.
Danny Worth's lead-off homer was the first for the Hens this season and their first since Will Rhymes hit one on June 25, 2011.
The ten-run deficit was the Hen's largest margin of defeat this season.
A sold-out crowd of 9,663 witnessed the game on the Fourth of July.
International League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Gwinnett tops Charlotte, 6-2 - Gwinnett Braves
- Repko, Hee Blast PawSox to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Pawtucket 7, Rochester 4 - Rochester Red Wings
- Columbus Brings Offensive Fireworks, Beats Hens 13-3 on Fourth of July - Toledo Mud Hens
- Yankee Offense Explodes to Down IronPigs 8-5 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Bulls Celebrate Independence Day with Big Win - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Shut out Bisons on Independence Day - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tribe Lights up Louisville 6-1 in Front of 14,504 - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Wednesday, July 4 vs. Pawtucket (Red Sox) - Rochester Red Wings
- Heath Recalled by Chicago White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:30 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Orioles Recall RHP Chris Tillman from Triple-A Norfolk - Norfolk Tides
- Marte Named Tribe's June Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.