Earthquakes' Rally Falls Short in 2-1 Road Loss Against Portland TimbersJuly 4, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) San Jose Earthquakes
Despite the result, the Earthquakes (11-4-3, 36 pts.) remain on top of the Western Conference and Supporters' Shield standings. San Jose is followed by D.C. United (10-5-3, 33 pts.) and Real Salt Lake (10-6-2, 32 pts.) for the league lead.
Danny Mwanga gave the Timbers the lead in the 29th minute and Jack Jewsbury tacked on the game winner in the 59th minute. However, the Earthquakes didn't go away without a fight.
San Jose chopped the Timbers' lead in half in the 74th minute. Marvin Chavez blasted a shot into the box that deflected off Portland's Mike Chabala before Alan Gordon deftly flicked a shot past Timbers goalkeeper Troy Perkins. The goal was Gordon's sixth of the season, tying him with Steven Lenhart for second-most on the team.
The Quakes sent a barrage of crosses into the mix to close the match, but couldn't find the equalizer.
San Jose is back in action on Saturday, July 7 against FC Dallas at FC Dallas Stadium in Frisco, Texas. The match kicks off at 6 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 4, 2012
- Sounders FC, Real Salt Lake Battle to Scoreless Draw - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Rallies for 3-1 Win at Montreal Impact - Sporting Kansas City
- Impact Falls to Sporting KC 3-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Rapids to Support Fundraising Efforts at HelpColoradoNow.org - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers U-23s Face Washington, Kitsap in Final Two Regular-Season Home Matches - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Defeat Earthquakes 2-1 - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes' Rally Falls Short in 2-1 Road Loss Against Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.