Morrow Is Masterful in 2-1 Otters WinJuly 3, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Evansville Otters
Runs were hard to come by on Tuesday night as Evansville needed a two-out rally and a bases-loaded walk to take a 1-0 lead. Outfielder Matt Sheely worked a nine-pitch at-bat in order to put Schaumburg down by a run.
With Morrow still holding the Boomers scoreless, Evansville added another run on a sacrifice fly from shortstop Luis Parache in the fifth.
The Otters held the 2-0 edge going into the eighth inning before Schaumburg cut the deficit in half. Facing reliever Patrick Crider, shortstop Frank Pfister hit a single and came around to score on a run-producing single to right field from designated hitter Chad Mozingo.
Closer Eric Massingham then entered the game for a potential four-out save. Outfielder Nate Baumann worked the count full, but Massingham recorded a flyout on the eighth pitch of the at-bat to end the inning.
In the top of the ninth, Massingham returned to the mound nursing the 2-1 lead. Catcher Ty Nelson drew a one-out walk and nearly scored with second baseman Karexon Sanchez at the plate. Sanchez hit a Massingham pitch deep down the right field line, but the ball curved foul before clearing the fence. Massingham then retired Sanchez two pitches later on a strikeout to record his ninth save of the year.
The Otters improve to 18-25 with the victory as the first-place Schaumburg Boomers drop to 27-16.
Morrow (3-4) earns the win, scattering four hits over seven scoreless innings. The loss goes to Schaumburg right-hander Robby Donovan (5-2) who allowed two runs (one earned) in 7.0 innings.
Evansville will look for the series win on Independence Day against Schaumburg. First pitch is set for 4 p.m. CDT on July 4. It is Military Appreciation Day at Historic Bosse Field, sponsored by ESGR and Wireless Zone. The Otters will wear commemorative camouflage jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game to the highest bidders. There will also be an iPad giveaway to a lucky fan as well as $1 hot dogs. Lefty Matt Zielinski (4-3, 4.73 Earned Run Average) will start for Evansville as righty Tyler Watkins (2-4, 3.60 ERA) will be on the mound for Schaumburg.
Frontier League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Slammers Pitching Blows Two Leads in Loss to Florence - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Win Fifth Straight; Hammer ThunderBolts - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Fall to Miners 8-4 - River City Rascals
- Miners Start Series on Right Foot - Southern Illinois Miners
- Gateway Glides by ThunderBolts - Windy City ThunderBolts
- RiverHawks activate Shepherd, release two - Rockford RiverHawks
- Morrow Is Masterful in 2-1 Otters Win - Evansville Otters
- Vargas Powers Beach Bums Past CornBelters - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers leap over .500 hump with 5-2 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- First Place Boomers Fall in Series Opener at Evansville - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Storms Past Rippers - London Rippers
- Vargas, Beach Bums Pop CornBelters 8-5 - Normal CornBelters
- Lee outduels Lee as RiverHawks fall, 3-0 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Lee Flirts with No-Hitter, Wild Things Win 3-0 - Washington Wild Things
- July 3 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Washington Wild Things Come to Schaumburg for Weekend Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Umberger Has Contract Purchased by White Sox - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.