UNCW's Tart Picks up Win in 2-1 VictoryJuly 3, 2012 - Coastal Plain League (Coastal Plain) Wilmington Sharks
Before the fireworks started in the outfield, the Sharks opened the game with a quick burst for two runs in the first inning. Each of the first four batters reached base, with Casey Goss and Aaron Preston scoring the runs and Andrew Valencia and Scott Coleman providing the RBIs with a single and a fielder's choice.
After that point, the home team notched just two hits against Wilson starter Tyler Thompson, who was making his season debut. He finished the night with an eight inning complete game, allowing five hits and no walks with seven strikeouts. It was the first time the Sharks did not draw a walk in a game, and the third straight contest in which the opposing starter lasted eight frames.
For the Sharks, Blaze Tart turned in his longest outing of the year with a six inning performance. He allowed just a duo of hits, the first of which did not come until the fifth with the other being a triple in the sixth. Tart also walked two and struck out two.
It was the ninth inning that provided the most on-field excitement, with Zach Houchins reaching on an error and Joe Costigan belting a double to start the frame, putting runners on second and third with nobody out. Houchins scored on a controversial play at the plate, advancing home when a throw by Aaron Hoover skipped away from the catcher, Jeff May. That allowed Costigan to move up 90 feet to third with just one out. However, Brockett induced a groundout and struck out the final batter for his fifth save.
The Sharks are off on Wednesday and host the Edenton Steamers on Thursday to conclude the homestand. For more on the Sharks, visit wilmingtonsharks.com, add Sharky Sharks on Facebook and follow @ILMSharks on Twitter.
Coastal Plain League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Five-Run Seventh Propels Steamers Over Marlins - Morehead City Marlins
- Forest City Falls in Gastonia - Forest City Owls
- UNCW's Tart Picks up Win in 2-1 Victory - Wilmington Sharks
- Dogs Tally 20th Victory In Front Of Sellout Crowd - Fayetteville SwampDogs
- Mustangs Race Past Blowfish - Columbia Blowfish
- Steamers Strike Marlins Down - Edenton Steamers
- Tobs Sunk by Sharks - Wilson Tobs
- Stephens to Compete in College Home Run Derby - Wilmington Sharks
- Lucky Fan Wins Steal of a Lifetime - Fayetteville SwampDogs
- Independence Fireworks Tonight at the Cap - Columbia Blowfish
- Kanzler Sends Steamers to Walk-off Win - Edenton Steamers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.