Tobs Sunk by SharksJuly 3, 2012 - Coastal Plain League (Coastal Plain) Wilson Tobs
Wilmington (17-13, 2-0) scored both runs in the opening frame against Tyler Thompson (L, 0-1) as Andrew Valencia and Scott Coleman both drove in runs for the Sharks.
Wilson (10-21, 1-2) entered the ninth inning trailing by two runs but came storming back against Andrew Brockett (S,4) as the first two hitters of the inning were able to reach. Zach Houchins, led off the inning with a single came home on a Collins Cuthrell fly to right. The Tobs had the had the tying run at third base thanks to a Joe Costigan double but they could not cash in as the Sharks earned their first win of the second half, 2-1.
Meanwhile, the Tobs could not solve Wilmington right-hander Blaze Tart (W, 1-1) who pitched six scoreless innings on Tuesday night allowing just two hits to earn the victory.
Thompson took the tough luck loss for the Tobs on Tuesday night as he worked eight strong innings allowing just the two runs in the first inning while not surrendering a free pass and fanning eight in his debut for the Tobs.
Wilson will return to Fleming Stadium on Wednesday night at 7:05 to take on the Edenton Steamers. Following the game, fans can enjoy Independence Day fireworks presented by Thomas & Farris.
The Wilson Tobs are a proud member of the Coastal Plain League, the nation's hottest summer collegiate baseball league. Celebrating its 16th season in 2012, the CPL features 14 teams playing in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. The CPL gives college players the chance to refine their skills with the use of wooden bats. Players are housed with local families for the summer and past experiences have been very positive for both the players and hosts. Furthermore, the CPL has had over 1,000 alumni drafted and 52 alums - including 2011 AL MVP and CY Young winner Justin Verlander - make their Major League debut thus far. For more information on the Coastal Plain League, please visit the league website atÂ http://www.coastalplain.com, and be sure to friend us on Facebook (atÂ http://www.facebook.com/coastalplainleague) and follow us via Twitter (at cpleague).
Coastal Plain League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Five-Run Seventh Propels Steamers Over Marlins - Morehead City Marlins
- Forest City Falls in Gastonia - Forest City Owls
- UNCW's Tart Picks up Win in 2-1 Victory - Wilmington Sharks
- Dogs Tally 20th Victory In Front Of Sellout Crowd - Fayetteville SwampDogs
- Mustangs Race Past Blowfish - Columbia Blowfish
- Steamers Strike Marlins Down - Edenton Steamers
- Tobs Sunk by Sharks - Wilson Tobs
- Stephens to Compete in College Home Run Derby - Wilmington Sharks
- Lucky Fan Wins Steal of a Lifetime - Fayetteville SwampDogs
- Independence Fireworks Tonight at the Cap - Columbia Blowfish
- Kanzler Sends Steamers to Walk-off Win - Edenton Steamers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.