Generals Game NotesJuly 3, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Jackson Generals
Site: Pringles Park, Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Paxton (3-3, 3.88) vs. RHP Jacob Thompson (5-5, 5.17)
Promotions: Independence Day Eve Fireworks, presented by Physicians Quality Care, Rally Appearance
Radio: News Talk 101.5 FM (pregame 6:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App. is available
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals Vision
Game Information: | Game Notes 7-3 vs Montgomery
TODAY'S GAME: The Generals look for a 3-game sweep of the Biscuits tonight at Pringles Park. The Generals will send LHP James Paxton (pictured below, John Shadrick) to the mound for the first time since May 25th. Jackson is 4-3 against Montgomery this season and lead the all-time series 66-62.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals won their 2nd straight over Montgomery Monday 2-1, taking the series. Jackson did all of its offensive damage in the first two innings of the game. C Jesus Sucre started things off with a 2-out double, scoring 2B Stefen Romero from first base. In the 2nd inning, Romero drove in RF Johermyn Chavez for his 13th RBI of the season. DH Kalian Sams was 2-for-3, including a triple in the third inning. RH Forrest Snow earned his first Jackson win, tossing 6 quality innings for Jackson. Snow allowed 5 hits and 1 earned run while striking out 4. Reliever Mauricio Robles earned his 5th hold of the season after 1.2 innings of work. RH Carter Capps pitched the last 1.1 innings of the game, striking out two and gaining his 13th save of the year. Capps has not allowed an earned run since April 29th.
K-PAX IS BACK: After missing more than a month with a knee injury LHP James Paxton returned to the Generals roster Tuesday from the disabled list. Paxton. Paxton ranks as the 4th best prospect in the Mariners organization, according to Baseball America. He ranks as the 8th best left-handed pitching prospect and 77th overall prospect in baseball, according to MLB.com.
GENERALS TO FACE BEN SHEETS: Four-time NL All-Star Ben Sheets was signed to a minor league contract by the Atlanta Braves on Sunday, July 1 and assigned to Double-A Mississippi. The right-handed pitcher is expected to make his first start with the M-Braves Wednesday against the Generals at Trustmark Park. Sheets, 33, has posted a career record of 90-92 with a 3.79 ERA over the course of nine seasons in the big leagues (eight with the Milwaukee Brewers).
FERNANDEZ MANIA: LH Anthony Fernandez became the first Jackson pitcher in franchise history to post back-to-back 9-inning complete games. Fernandez has allowed just 1 ER in 18.0 IP in his first two starts in Double-A, including a 2-hit, complete game shutout on Thursday night in Pensacola. Fernandez is 2-0, with a 0.50 ERA.
TOPS IN THE LEAGUE: The Generals 49-33 record is the best in the Southern League. Also, Jackson ranks first in pitching, with a 3.08 ERA. Jackson is 4th in the league in batting, with a .261 team average. The Generals lead the league with 62 home runs and rank 2nd in the league with 88 stolen bases.
VIVA LA ROMERO: INF Stefen Romero has hit safely 9 of 10 games with 6 multi-hit games with Jackson since his promotion. During this stretch he is batting .405 (15x37) with 7 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs and 13 RBI.
WHO'S HOT?: LH Mauricio Robles did not allow a earned run run during 9 relief appearances during the month of June (0 ER/11.0 IP) In those 11.0 innings Robles is holding batters this month to a .118 average (4x34)
-> RH Taylor Stanton has not allowed a run in his last 2 outings including yesterday's start against Montgomery. Over 9.0 innings pitched, Stanton is 2-0, with a 0.00 ERA, with 3 strikeouts.
Southern League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Generals Drop Series Finale in Front of Sellout Crowd - Jackson Generals
- BayBears Drop Series Finale to Braves 3-2 - Mobile BayBears
- M-Braves Take Series with 3-2 Win in Mobile - Mississippi Braves
- Thompson Dominant as Biscuits Salvage Finale - Montgomery Biscuits
- Pensacola Defeats Jacksonville 7-5 - Jacksonville Suns
- Homestand Highlights - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Finish Sweep of Stars with 5-1 Win - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Can't Hold 6-0 Lead, Drop Series Finale at Chattanooga - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Outslug Smokies, 11-6 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- RHP Evan Marshall Awarded with D-Backs Monthly Honor - Mobile BayBears
- Healthy Huntsville and Huntsville Stars Host Healthy Chili Cook-Off Challenge - Huntsville Stars
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Fourth of July Celebration Kicks off Homestand - Tennessee Smokies
- OF Mittelstaedt and RHP Baker to Huntsville - Huntsville Stars
- Paxton Reinstated from Disabled List, Starts Tonight - Jackson Generals
- Madden, Taylor, Alvarez Sent to DL - Jacksonville Suns
- Chipper Jones #10 Retirement Plan On-Sale Now at Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Lose Third Straight - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears Power Past Braves 6-2 - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.