West Michigan Nearly No-Hit In 1-0 LossJuly 2, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) West Michigan Whitecaps
West Michigan (6-5, 42-39) finished with just two hits - both singles - as Raydel Sanchez out-dueled Wilsen Palacios to deliver Great Lakes (5-6, 39-42) the narrow victory.
Palacios came into the game looking to become the Midwest League's first 10-game winner, but Sanchez quickly stole the show.
The Loons' right-hander retired the first 13 batters that he faced and carried a perfect game into the fifth inning while working a career-high seven frames. He allowed just three baserunners, two of which came on walks to Lance Durham while Jeff Holm base on an error. Sanchez struck out four and induced 13 groundball outs in a dominant performance.
After 86 pitches and seven nearly flawless innings, Sanchez (2-3) left the ballgame with the no-hitter intact.
Mike Thomas took over in the eighth and retired the first two batters that he faced before Brandon Loy broke up the no-hit bid with a soft liner to center that dropped just in front of a diving James Baldwin. Luis Castillo followed with a hard liner to center, singling for the Whitecaps' second and final hit of the night.
Yimi Garcia (12) worked a dramatic ninth inning for the save.
With one out in the final frame, Aaron Westlake stung a liner to the gap in right-center that was snared by Baldwin on a breathtaking diving catch, robbing the batter of an extra-base hit. Durham then worked a tremendous 12 pitch at-bat in which he nearly tied the game on a longball to right that hooked foul. The at-bat resulted in his third walk of the night, but Edgar Corcino followed with a fly-out to left that ended the game.
That left Palacios (9-5) with the hard-luck loss despite six solid innings of work. The right-hander allowed just one run on four hits over six innings while fanning five and walking one.
The only run of the night scored in the bottom of the third inning. Pratt Maynard led off with a groundball single through the right side and was bunted to second before Pedro Guerrero's double to left-center gave Great Lakes a 1-0 advantage.
The Whitecaps conclude a six-game road trip at 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday night with the finale of a three-game series against the Great Lakes Loons at Dow Diamond. LHP Kyle Ryan (4-3, 3.78) is scheduled to take the hill for West Michigan against RHP Ralston Cash (1-3, 5.83) of Great Lakes. The Whitecaps' next home game will take place on Wednesday, July 4, at 7:00 p.m. with a visit from the ZOOperstars and Independence Day fireworks. Group and individual tickets can be reserved by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from July 2, 2012
- Quad Cities' Winning Streak Snapped in 9-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Beloit bites Kernels with another one-run loss, 6-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Navarro Delivers Game-Winner in Extras - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Carpenter Stellar But Hot Rods Fall Late - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Buckley's Homer Lifts Dragons to Comeback Win - Dayton Dragons
- Sanchez's Seven Guide Loons to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Burlington Bees
- Hawks withstand Pillar HR, top Lugs in 10 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Lose for Sixth Straight Night - Peoria Chiefs
- West Michigan Nearly No-Hit In 1-0 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers Rock River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Score Shutout Win over Chiefs - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Hang On, Defeat Captains, 5-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fort Wayne Rallies Late and Wins 5-4 - Lake County Captains
- Former Kernels Trout, Trumbo and Napoli Selected to MLB All-Star Game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- OF Lee Orr Placed on DL - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Voting Underway for Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Shane Riedie joins Kernels from Orem; Eswarlin Jimenez placed on DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- MWL Honors Sanchez as Pitcher of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- Pair of Former Cougars Named Major League All-Stars - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for July 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Tickets for July 4 and 5 Whitecaps Games on Sale for $5 Today - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.