Boomers Rally to Snap Beach Bums Win StreakJuly 1, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Traverse City Beach Bums
Leading 9-7 heading into the bottom of the ninth, Scott Mueller recorded the first two outs of the inning in quick order and had a 2-2 count on Sean Mahley. Mueller's pitch appeared to clip the inside corner to end the game, but was called a ball. The game started to unravel from that point when Mahley walked and Frank Pfister homered to tie the game. Steve McQuail followed with a walk and Chad Mozingo doubled to score McQuail with the winning run.
The fact that the game even got to that point was incredible in its own right. Trailing 7-0, the Beach Bums started their comeback as Jose Vargas led off the fourth inning with his 12th homerun of the year, tying teammate Jeff Flagg for the league lead. It was also the fifth consecutive game in which Vargas has gone deep.
Two innings later, Traverse City pulled closer as with one out, Sean Gusrang and Marcus Nidiffer both singled. Kyle Eveland doubled to drive home Gusrang and make it 7-2. Brian Heere followed with a double of his own, scoring Nidiffer and Eveland, further slicing into the lead.
TC would complete the comeback in the seventh as with one out, Jeff Flagg walked and Kyle Colligan was hit by a pitch. A pitching change provided no relief for the Boomers as Patrick Lala walked Gusrang to load the bases. Nidiffer worked the count to 3-1 before doubling down the rightfield line, clearing the bases and knotting the game at 7-7.
Not done there, Eveland singled to score Nidiffer to put the Beach Bums up for the first time in the game 8-7. Following another pitching change, Heere struck out for the second out of the frame. Ryan Still came up and delivered a double to score Eveland and put Traverse City up two runs.
Things started off roughly for the Beach Bums as Schaumbeurg would score two in the first and five in the second to take a 7-0 lead.
Offensively in the ballgame, Still and Eveland had three hits each. On the mound, Cory Baker had his best professional outing, tossing four innings of shutout relief, allowing two hits, striking out three.
The rubber game of the series comes up tomorrow night as Jacob Clem (3-3, 2.59) goes for Traverse City against Cameron Roth (4-2, 2.48) for the Boomers. First pitch is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. with the pregame show on Sunny Country 101.9 beginning at 7:10. The Beach Bums return home on Tuesday to take on the Normal CornBelters in a Two for Tuesday game on July 3 at 7:05 p.m. For tickets or information, call 943-0100 or visit tcbeachbums.com.
Frontier League Stories from July 1, 2012
- Bullock's Gem Guides Evansville to 2-0 Win over Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Dominate Normal - River City Rascals
- Slammers Snap Four Game Skid - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Shutout Miners for Third Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Schult Pitches Slammers Past RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Shutout in Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Announce Time Change for July 3rd and July 4th - Gateway Grizzlies
- CornBelters Walloped by River City - Normal CornBelters
- Lake Erie Crushers Split DH with Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Mozingo's Walk-Off Double Caps Ninth Inning Rally - Schaumburg Boomers
- Boomers Rally to Snap Beach Bums Win Streak - Traverse City Beach Bums
- July 1 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Rippers Grab Canada Day Win in Grand Fashion - London Rippers
- RiverHawks release pitcher - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums' Langbehn Named East Division All-Star Manager - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Max Peterson Has Contract Purchased by White Sox - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Lose Fourth-Straight - River City Rascals
- Offense Carries Grizzlies to Win over Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Lose Series Opener to Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.