Miners Lose Series Opener to GrizzliesJuly 1, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Southern Illinois Miners
The Grizzlies scored seven runs in the bottom of the first inning off Tew, all with two outs. Grizzlies outfielder Rogelio Norris hit a base hit and RBI to give the Grizzlies a 1-0 lead. Designated hitter John Shelby hit a bases clearing double to give the Grizzlies a 4-0 lead. The Grizzlies added three more runs off Tew when center fielder Antone DeJesus hit a three run home run to give the Grizzlies a 7-0 lead. Ross Davis came in relief after Tew left and retired Grizzlies second baseman Jonathan Johnson on three pitches with a fly out.
The Miners scored four runs in the top of the fourth inning when Darian Sandford hit a two run double with two outs off Grizzlies starter Pat Arnold to put the Miners within five 7-2. Jake Kaase then brought him home with a two run homerun to bring the Miners within three runs 7-4. The Grizzlies added two more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning when Grizzlies left fielder hit a two run homerun off Miners reliever Ross Davis to make it 9-4. Davis left the game after that going 3.2 innings, giving up three hits and two runs. He struck out three batters.
The Grizzlies added another run in the bottom of the sixth inning off Miners reliever Gabriel Shaw to make it 10-4. The Miners scored two runs top of the ninth inning when Elliot Hagburg grounded into a fielder's choice and Josh Haley scored on a wild pitch to make it 10-6. The Miners would lose the game 10-6.
With the loss, the Miners fall to 24-16 and fall to four games behind Traverse City in the Eastern Division. Gateway improves to 20-20 with the win. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 pm at GCS Ballpark.
Frontier League Stories from July 1, 2012
- Bullock's Gem Guides Evansville to 2-0 Win over Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Dominate Normal - River City Rascals
- Slammers Snap Four Game Skid - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Shutout Miners for Third Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Schult Pitches Slammers Past RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Shutout in Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Announce Time Change for July 3rd and July 4th - Gateway Grizzlies
- CornBelters Walloped by River City - Normal CornBelters
- Lake Erie Crushers Split DH with Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Mozingo's Walk-Off Double Caps Ninth Inning Rally - Schaumburg Boomers
- Boomers Rally to Snap Beach Bums Win Streak - Traverse City Beach Bums
- July 1 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Rippers Grab Canada Day Win in Grand Fashion - London Rippers
- RiverHawks release pitcher - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums' Langbehn Named East Division All-Star Manager - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Max Peterson Has Contract Purchased by White Sox - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Lose Fourth-Straight - River City Rascals
- Offense Carries Grizzlies to Win over Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Lose Series Opener to Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.