Goins Blasts Homer in 9-3 Loss at PortlandJune 29, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) New Hampshire Fisher Cats
Goins opened the scoring with his laser-beam home run into the right field bullpen. His fourth home run set a new career high and put the Fisher Cats on top with their second lead-off homer of the year.
It stayed that way until the Sea Dogs took advantage of some sloppy fielding by New Hampshire in the third. After an opening single, Brian Bocock committed two errors on one groundball, putting runners at second and third for Portland. Two batters later a single and a double plated a total of three runs for Portland's 3-1 lead.
New Hampshire evened the score in the top of the fourth, easing the burden on starter Chad Jenkins. With runners at first and second, a wild pitch combined with an error plated the first run to make it 3-2. A groundout from Kevin Howard brought home Mark Sobolewski to knot it up at 3-all.
The Sea Dogs pulled away from there, scoring the go-ahead run on a two-out infield single in the sixth against Jenkins (L; 4-7). Steve Marek walked four guys and allowed five runs in the eighth to stretch Portland's lead to 9-3.
Jenkins pitched seven full innings for the second time in three starts, allowing three earned runs (4 total) on ten hits. Stolmy Pimentel improved to 2-4 for Portland with his second win against the Sea Dogs this season.
The Fisher Cats continue their eight-game road trip with the first of 4 in Reading, Pa., on Saturday night at 6:35 PM. RHP Fernando Hernandez (1-5, 5.09) takes on Reading RHP Trevor May (6-6, 4.97). Radio coverage begins at 6:15 PM with Tom Gauthier on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network and www.nhfishercats.com.
The Fisher Cats return home to begin a fireworks-filled six-game homestand starting on the 4th of July against the Future Red Sox, the Portland Sea Dogs. Beginning with the Fourth, the Fisher Cats will host five consecutive nights of Atlas Fireworks during the stand. For the complete list of promotions and to order tickets, visit www.nhfishercats.com.
Eastern League Stories from June 29, 2012
- Plagman Delivers Dagger in 10th as SeaWolves Edge Aeros, 5-4 - Akron Aeros
- 'Wolves Take Series with Extra Innings Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Grossman, Irwin Lead Curve to 11-3 Victory over 'Sens - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Swept Away to Start Homestand, 8-5 - Binghamton Mets
- Altoona Gains Split with 11-3 Win over the Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Five-Run Third Pushes New Britain Past Thunder, 8-4 - Trenton Thunder
- Goins Blasts Homer in 9-3 Loss at Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep B-Mets - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Bite Fisher Cats 9-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Britain Takes Three out of Four From 1st Place Trenton - New Britain Rock Cats
- Squirrels Run out of Gas in Reading, 4-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Reading - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves at Akron Aeros - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- OF Abraham Almonte Hits DL; RHP Farquhar Designated - Trenton Thunder
- R-Phils Service Electric, Comcast SportsNet to Air All-Star Classic - Reading Fightin Phils
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs. Bowie Baysox - Binghamton Mets
- Thunder to be Honored at Yankee Stadium Tonight - Trenton Thunder
- Three Rock Cats Named to EL All-Star Team - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Five Baysox Named to All-Star Team - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.