Baysox Sweep B-MetsJune 29, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Bowie Baysox
Dustin Martin gave the B-Mets the early lead in the second inning when he hit a two-run home run that made the score 2-0.
In the fifth inning, the Baysox evened up the score on a Jai Miller two-run home run to make the score 2-2.
The Baysox took the lead in the top of the sixth inning. Buck Britton and Robbie Widlansky each drew walks to put two runners on with one out. Then Manny Machado gave the Baysox the lead with a two-run double. The next batter, Rhyne Hughes followed with another double that scored Machado and gave the Baysox a 5-2 lead.
Buck Britton added another run in the seventh when he hit his third home run of the season to make the score 6-2.
The B-Mets cut into the lead in the bottom of the seventh inning. With two outs and two runners on, Travis Ozga hit an RBI single. Then Sean Kazmar followed with a ground-rule double that knocked in another run to make the score 6-4.
The Baysox got a run back in the eighth inning on a sacrifice fly by Hughes that extended the lead back out to 7-4.
In the bottom of the eighth inning, the B-Mets again made it a two-run game. They loaded up the bases with one out and then Martin grounded out to second, but on the play a run scored to make the score 7-5.
The Baysox extended the lead back out to three runs in the ninth inning. With two outs, Jonathan Schoop singled and stole second. Britton then reached on a throwing error that allowed Schoop to score and made the score 8-5.
Zach Clark got the win going 6.2 innings and allowing four runs on five hits with four strikeouts and two walks.
Kyler Newby threw a scoreless ninth to pick up his third save of the season.
Gregory Peavey got the loss going six innings and allowing five runs on eight hits with two strikes and two walks.
Tomorrow, the Baysox will continue their eight game road trip when they meet the New Britain Rock Cats for the first time in 2012. LHP Jake Pettit (5-1, 3.67) will make the start against RHP Brett Jacobson (0-2, 5.95).
The Baysox are on the road for eight games. They will return home on Wednesday, July 4 at 6:05 p.m. against the Harrisburg Senators. Tickets are on sale now for the Independence Day celebration that will feature an apple pie eating contest, fireworks and much more.
Baysox Baseball - We'll Knock Your 'Sox Off. The Baysox 20th season is underway. Parking is free at every Baysox home game and tickets are now available at www.baysox.com, or by calling the Baysox box office at (301) 464-4865.
Eastern League Stories from June 29, 2012
- Plagman Delivers Dagger in 10th as SeaWolves Edge Aeros, 5-4 - Akron Aeros
- 'Wolves Take Series with Extra Innings Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Grossman, Irwin Lead Curve to 11-3 Victory over 'Sens - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Swept Away to Start Homestand, 8-5 - Binghamton Mets
- Altoona Gains Split with 11-3 Win over the Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Five-Run Third Pushes New Britain Past Thunder, 8-4 - Trenton Thunder
- Goins Blasts Homer in 9-3 Loss at Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep B-Mets - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Bite Fisher Cats 9-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Britain Takes Three out of Four From 1st Place Trenton - New Britain Rock Cats
- Squirrels Run out of Gas in Reading, 4-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Reading - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves at Akron Aeros - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- OF Abraham Almonte Hits DL; RHP Farquhar Designated - Trenton Thunder
- R-Phils Service Electric, Comcast SportsNet to Air All-Star Classic - Reading Fightin Phils
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs. Bowie Baysox - Binghamton Mets
- Thunder to be Honored at Yankee Stadium Tonight - Trenton Thunder
- Three Rock Cats Named to EL All-Star Team - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Five Baysox Named to All-Star Team - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.