2nd-Round Pick Bruce Maxwell Joins Lake MonstersJune 28, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Vermont Lake Monsters
Maxwell, who was the 62nd overall pick in the 2012 draft out of Birmingham Southern, began his professional career with Arizona League Athletics after signing with Oakland. In six games with the Arizona A's, Maxwell hit .524 (11-for-21) with eight runs, four doubles and four RBI.
Maxwell was named the America Baseball Coaches Association/Rawlings Division 3 Player of the Year in 2012 after hitting .471 (72-for-153) with 56 runs, 25 doubles, 15 homers and 48 RBI in just 47 games for Birmingham Southern. He also walked 56 times and had just 11 strikeouts.
Two Lake Monsters players are no longer with Vermont. Catcher Phil Pohl was sent to Arizona, while infielder Michael Fabiaschi was promoted to the Burlington Bees of the Midwest League.
New York-Penn League Stories from June 28, 2012
- Doubledays Walkoff with 4-3 Win over Crosscutters - Auburn Doubledays
- Lowell Takes First Of Three Game Series At Vermont 6-5 On Thursday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Big Second Inning Leads to Victory in Brooklyn - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Come Back, But Yield Lead Late in 6-5 Loss to Scrappers - State College Spikes
- Blown Save Spoils Cutter Comeback - Williamsport Crosscutters
- ValleyCats Earn 5-2 Win - Connecticut Tigers
- State College Spike Game Notes - June 28 at Mahoning Valley - State College Spikes
- Lake Monsters and Oakland A's Extend Agreement Through 2014 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- 2nd-Round Pick Bruce Maxwell Joins Lake Monsters - Vermont Lake Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.