LumberKings Suffer Third Straight One-Run LossJune 25, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Clinton LumberKings
Wasted in the loss was a quality start by Jordan Shipers. The All-Star left-hander pitched seven strong innings and allowed one run in the loss. He took a no-decision but dropped his ERA to 3.53.
Both teams got on the board in the third inning as Peoria took a 1-0 lead on a sacrifice fly by Dustin Geiger. Clinton knotted the game at 1-1 when Nate Melendres came through with a two-out, run-scoring single to left field that brought in Jamal Austin.
It stayed 1-1 until the eighth inning when it was Peoria's turn for a clutch hit. After striking out Paul Hoilman for the second out in the top of the eighth, LumberKings reliever David Colvin surrendered a two-out base hit up the middle to Anthony Giansanti that scored Pin-Chieh Chen and gave the Chiefs a 2-1 lead.
Anthony Phillips started the bottom half of the inning with his second hit of the game and eventually moved to third with two outs. Ji-Man Choi was hit in the foot by a Luis Liria fastball to put runners at the corners but Ramon Morla flied out to shallow right to end the threat. The LumberKings went in order in the bottom of the ninth to give Liria his third save of the season.
Zac Rosscup, who was making a rehab appearance for Peoria, picked up the win after throwing 2 1/3 scoreless innings. Colvin was saddled with the loss after allowing a single run in his two innings of work. The two teams meet tomorrow for game two of the three-game set. Right-hander Mayekol Guaipe (0-0, 0.00) makes his first start in a LumberKings uniform and right-hander Starling Peralta (1-2, 5.06) gets the nod for the Chiefs. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 PM.
Midwest League Stories from June 25, 2012
- LumberKings Suffer Third Straight One-Run Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Win Sixth Straight, 4-2 vs. Kernels - Burlington Bees
- Villanueva Shuts Down Wisconsin in 4-1 River Bandits Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Beat Kernels, 4-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Start Road Trip With 2-1 Monday Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Ratters get rude welcome home from Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Dropped in Series Opener - Kane County Cougars
- Early Runs, Errors Send TinCaps to 6-2 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Pitching, Defense Lead To Series-Opening Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Hawks Flattened by Loons in Series-Opener - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Lugnuts 'Nic' TinCaps, 6-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Top Dragons 8-3 in Series Opener - Dayton Dragons
- Lake County Thumps Dayton 8-3 - Lake County Captains
- Glaesmann Has Two Hits But Whitecaps Halt Streak - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers Release Dates for Twins' Weekend - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits' Garcia Named Midwest League Player of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Eswarlin Jimenez activated from DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Gameday for June 25 - Dayton Dragons
- NASCAR Driver to Stop at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- O'Sullivan Promoted to Rancho - Great Lakes Loons
- Whitecaps Dime-A-Dog Night this Tuesday - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.