Windy City Shuts Down Joliet ComebackJune 24, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Joliet Slammers
Coming off a loss in Saturday's series opener, things weren't looking good for Joliet in the early going. In the third inning, the ThunderBolts jumped on starter Tommy Mendoza and brought four runs across, courtesy of four straight base hits to make it 4-0. Windy City tacked on another run in the fourth when Zack Aakhus led off with a single and was brought around by Bob Glover to extend the lead.
But the Slammers managed to claw their way back into the game, starting in the fifth. With runners on second and third, Brad Netzel scored a run on a groundout, and Jimmy Waters followed with an RBI single, cutting the lead to three. Joliet added a run in the seventh via a Zach Mandelblatt groundout with the bases loaded, and one in the eighth when Abel Nieves scored on a Josh Lyon single. Windy City held the Slammers scoreless in the ninth to keep it 5-4.
Tommy Mendoza gave up five runs through six innings in the start, but walked just one while striking out six. Brian Smith and Daniel Carela allowed just one hit through two innings of relief, while Windy City starter Blain Weller picked up the win.
Joliet wraps up the local rivalry series against the Windy City ThunderBolts in Crestwood with a 10:35 a.m. start in game three on Monday morning. If you can't make it to the game, fans can listen live on AM 1340 WJOL with Aaron Morse and Greg Talbott calling the action.
Frontier League Stories from June 24, 2012
- Evansville Sweeps Doubleheader from Florence in Walk-Off Fashion - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Lose Middle Game with Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Crushers Blast Their Way to Victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Six-Run Sixth Shucks CornBelters - River City Rascals
- CornBelters Doubled by Rascals 8-4 - Normal CornBelters
- ThunderBolts Keep Slammers at Arms Length - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Windy City Shuts Down Joliet Comeback - Joliet Slammers
- Beach Bums Win Pitchers' Duel - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Beach Bums Flatten Rippers - London Rippers
- Boomers' Big First Downs RiverHawks, 15-10 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Score Ten Runs in First, Knock off Rockford 15-10 - Schaumburg Boomers
- Boomers score early, often in 15-10 win - Rockford RiverHawks
- June 24 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Lose Roller Coaster Game in Schaumburg - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.