RiverHawks Lose Roller Coaster Game in SchaumburgJune 24, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Rockford RiverHawks
The RiverHawks lost leads of 2-0, 4-2 and 5-4. The Boomers rallied for three runs in the eighth inning, with the help of two Rockford errors, to take their only lead of the night.
Rockford reliever Garrett Granitz hit Steve McQuail to start the eighth. With one out, McQuail advanced to third on Nate Baumann's hit-and-run single. Chad Mozingo hit a potential double-play ball back to the pitcher, but Granitz committed a throwing error to bring home McQuail with the go-ahead run. Mike Valadez singled home Baumann. Jereme Milons hit a possible double-play grounder to shortstop Ted Obregon, but his throwing error on the play brought in Mozingo. Just two of the three runs off Granitz (0-1) were earned.
McQuail and Baumann each hit homers for the Boomers.
Carlos Luciano was 3-for-3 for the RiverHawks and drove in runs on a second-inning double and a fourth-inning single. In the top of the eighth inning, Mike Thomas and Luciano hit back-to-back singles to put runners at the corners with one out. Schaumburg closer Pat Mincey came on and struck out the next two to end the threat. Mincey got the last five outs, four by strikeout, to get the win. Mincey (2-0) has not allowed a hit and struck out nine in three appearances against Rockford.
The series continues at 1 p.m. Sunday.
The RiverHawks are home to play Evansville at 7:05 p.m. Wednesday. GFS Marketplace and Village Hearth sponsor 50 Cent Hot Dog Night.
Frontier League Stories from June 24, 2012
- Evansville Sweeps Doubleheader from Florence in Walk-Off Fashion - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Lose Middle Game with Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Crushers Blast Their Way to Victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Six-Run Sixth Shucks CornBelters - River City Rascals
- CornBelters Doubled by Rascals 8-4 - Normal CornBelters
- ThunderBolts Keep Slammers at Arms Length - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Windy City Shuts Down Joliet Comeback - Joliet Slammers
- Beach Bums Win Pitchers' Duel - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Beach Bums Flatten Rippers - London Rippers
- Boomers' Big First Downs RiverHawks, 15-10 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Score Ten Runs in First, Knock off Rockford 15-10 - Schaumburg Boomers
- Boomers score early, often in 15-10 win - Rockford RiverHawks
- June 24 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Lose Roller Coaster Game in Schaumburg - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.