Beetles loseJune 22, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Alexandria Beetles
But the Beetles (8-15) blasted the MoonDogs (18-6) from the opening inning to win at home for the first time since June 1. Alexandria has handed Mankato half of their losses this season improving to 3-1 against the MoonDogs with a 12-3 beat-down.
Ali Simpson went five innings giving up just one run to win his first game of the year.
Ryan Padilla continued his torrid start with a two-out RBI single to plate Dylan Raper in the first inning and put Alexandria on the board the Beetles plated four more in the bottom of the second. Sean O'Hare lofted a two-run homerun out to right and two outs and an error later, Raper and Johnny Tolson delivered back-to-back doubles to score two more.
But the Beetles were not nearly done. After a 1-2-3 bottom third, the offense went back to work against Mankato starter Davis Henderson, who took his first loss of the year, with Tanner Vavra driving in David Garcia to make the score 6-1 before the Beetles left the bases loaded.
An inning later, the score was 11-1 after Alexandria batted around in the bottom of the fifth. With the bases loaded and one out, a double from Josh Guerra plated two and Vavra followed with a two-RBI single. Vavra came around to score on Padilla's second two-out RBI single of the game.
Alexandria's final run came on a solo shot by Vavra on a line drive to center for his first bomb, and extra base hit, of the year.
The MoonDogs threatened in every inning but the eighth and left 13 men on base. One Mankato run scored on a passed ball, one on a wild pitch, and one on a Chase Simpson double.
Every batter in the Alexandria lineup had at least one hit and Vavra led the team with three.
The teams play the second of their two-game set tomorrow at Knute Nelson beginning at 7:05.
Northwoods League Stories from June 22, 2012
- Honkers Fall to Stingers in Fourteen - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Win 3-2, Return the Favor by Snapping Rafters Eight-Game Win Streak - La Crosse Loggers
- Beetles lose - Alexandria Beetles
- 'Frogs win their sixth straight - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chinooks' Offense Loses Fever 5-0 Friday - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Mallards Even Series up with Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Loggers win 3-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Offense Struggles in Bomber Loss - Battle Creek Bombers
- Chucks One-Hit Bombers, Win 4-2 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- MoonDogs Step up to the Plate in Duluth Flood Relief Effort - Mankato MoonDogs
- Former Bullfrog Haniger to Make Pro Debut with T-Rats - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bryan Named NWL's Pitcher of the Night - Waterloo Bucks
- Marzi on the Mound Trying to Stop Mallards Skid - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Blast Eau Claire Express 17-2 - Green Bay Bullfrogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.