Chucks One-Hit Bombers, Win 4-2June 22, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Wisconsin Woodchucks
The Woodchucks and Bombers were scoreless through the first two innings before the "Chucks broke through in the third. Branden Cogswell reached on an error by first baseman Sikes Orvis and later went to third on a double by Brooks Braga. Two batters later, JD Davis bounced out to second base, scoring Cogswell from third and advancing Braga to third. Braga would later score on Dylan Delaney's second error of the game to put the Woodchucks on top 2-0.
As they did Thursday, the Bombers answered to tie the game up in the bottom of the third. Woodchuck starter Brendon Hayden walked the first two batters, Jeremy Shay and Tom Albert, before a throwing error by Mike Bernal loaded the bases. With one out, Dillon Moyer hit a ball to center that scored Shay from third, and Albert later scored when Casey Yocum got caught in a run-down between second and third to make it a 2-2 ball game. Moyer's single was the only base-hit of the game for the Bombers.
The score would stay tied up at two all the way until the seventh inning. With Davis on first and one out, Skyler Ewing teed off on a ball and hit it far over the wall in left field for his first home run of the season to put the "Chucks on top 4-2.
The Woodchucks used Hayden, Jake Peter, Benny Suarez and Max Ising to combine for a one-hitter as they beat the Bombers 4-2 in game two of the three-game set.
The two teams will play the finale of the three-game set tomorrow in Battle Creek with first pitch at 6:05 CDT.
Northwoods League Stories from June 22, 2012
- Honkers Fall to Stingers in Fourteen - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Win 3-2, Return the Favor by Snapping Rafters Eight-Game Win Streak - La Crosse Loggers
- Beetles lose - Alexandria Beetles
- 'Frogs win their sixth straight - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Chinooks' Offense Loses Fever 5-0 Friday - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Mallards Even Series up with Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Loggers win 3-2 - La Crosse Loggers
- Offense Struggles in Bomber Loss - Battle Creek Bombers
- Chucks One-Hit Bombers, Win 4-2 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- MoonDogs Step up to the Plate in Duluth Flood Relief Effort - Mankato MoonDogs
- Former Bullfrog Haniger to Make Pro Debut with T-Rats - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bryan Named NWL's Pitcher of the Night - Waterloo Bucks
- Marzi on the Mound Trying to Stop Mallards Skid - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Blast Eau Claire Express 17-2 - Green Bay Bullfrogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.