Miners Lose in ExtrasJune 21, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Southern Illinois Miners
The Miners took an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first off Otters starter Matt Crim as Sean Coughlin grounded out two first to score Ken Gregory. That would be the only run Crim would give up in his seven inning performance. As for Miners starter David Harden, the only run he gave up was in the top of the seventh innings as Otters second baseman Taylor Black hit a two out triple to tie the game at 1-1.
Tonight's game would go to extra innings, as the Miners and Otters continued to leave runners on base. In the top of the 12th inning as Miners reliever Ben Shivers came in, the Otters opened things up. Highlighting the innings was a three run home run by right fielder DeAngelo Mack to give the Otters a 6-1 lead. Shivers gave up five runs off four hits and walked one batter in one inning in relief.
The Miners would score two runs in the bottom of the 12th inning as Sean Coughlin hit a two run home run off Otters closer Eric Massingham to bring the score closer at 6-3 but it wasn't enough. The Otters went on to win the game 6-3 and take the series from the Miners.
Albert Ayala pitched two innings in relief. He gave up two hits, walked one and struck out three batters.
The Miners fall to 18-14 and look to avoid the sweep tomorrow as they send RHP Cody Hall to the mound (0-0, 1.50 ERA). He'll be opposed by Otters LHP Garrett Bullock (1-3, 2.92 ERA). First pitch between Southern Illinois and Evansville will be at 7:05 at Rent One Park.
Frontier League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Otters Explode in 12th Inning for 6-3 Win at Southern Illinois - Evansville Otters
- Miners Lose in Extras - Southern Illinois Miners
- Take That! Lisk Delivers In The 11th - River City Rascals
- Rascals Walk off for Second Straight Game against Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts defeat Beach Bums - Windy City ThunderBolts
- ThunderBolts Claim Game Two - Traverse City Beach Bums
- CornBelters edge RiverHawks, 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Maxwell Leads Slammers to 2-1 Win - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Edged in Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters defeat Rockford - Normal CornBelters
- Matt Fields Has Contract Purchased by Royals - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rippers Respond to Liquor License Issue - London Rippers
- June 21 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Crushers-Rippers Rained Out - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rippers Game Cancelled - London Rippers
- Two More Pitchers Headed to Affiliated Teams - Windy City ThunderBolts
- RiverHawks Announce Field Training Day & Veterans Appreciation Night - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Fall Short in Extras against Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.