Mudcats Overwhelm Blue Rocks, 7-3June 21, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Wilmington Blue Rocks
Giovanny Urshela and Jesus Aguilar drove in the hosts' two tallies in the first frame. Starter Brooks Pounders (0-2) then held the Mudcats in check for four innings while base-running mistakes cost the Blue Rocks a chance to get on the scoreboard. Kevin David tried to score from first on Whit Merrifield's third-inning double only to retreat back to third. Merrifield, however, already stood steps short of third himself and was quickly gunned down trying to dive back into second.
By design, that was the last inning for Carolina starter Danny Salazar. The right-hander had Tommy John surgery in 2010 and has been on a tight pitch limit all season. Jordan Cooper (2-3) then tossed a perfect fourth in relief before receiving a test in the fifth.
In his Carolina League debut, shortstop prospect Orlando Calixte's first hit as a Blue Rock began the frame. Roman Hernandez followed with a hit of his own off a sliding Bo Greenwell's glove in left to snap an 0-for-22 funk. One out later, with the runners then at the corners, Cooper tossed to first to pick off Hernandez. Not only did the toss result in a nab of Hernandez, but also Calixte trying to take home as a 1-3-4-2 double play ended the inning.
Crooked numbers in the sixth and seventh by the Mudcats put Wilmington behind 6-0. That included Aguilar's seventh home run of the season. The Blue Rocks cracked the scoreboard in the eighth when Whit Merrifield scored on a wild pitch by Dale Dickerson. After Carolina added a run in the bottom half of the frame, David belted a two-run two-out homer to right in the ninth to round out the scoring.
The three-game set continues at 7:15 p.m. on Friday night. Wilmington right-hander Jason Adam (1-9, 3.86) gets the ball against southpaw Mike Rayl (4-7, 4.60). Broadcast coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. as studio host Rob Cunningham brings fans the Rocks Report Pre-game Show, presented by Wawa, on 89.7 WGLS-FM and online at wgls.rowan.edu.
Carolina League Stories from June 21, 2012
- P-Nats Walk-Off in Extras to Start Second Half - Potomac Nationals
- Mudcats Overwhelm Blue Rocks, 7-3 - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Aguilar, Wolters Shine in Rout of Blue Rocks - Carolina Mudcats
- Unearned Run Pushes Potomac to Win in 10th - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Stumble Late for Seventh Consecutive Loss - Frederick Keys
- Pelicans Two-Hit Keys to Start Second Half - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Epic Rain Postpones Second-Half Opener - Salem Red Sox
- 'Cats and Sox Postponed Due to Weather - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Ventura to Play in Futures Game, Myers & Odorizzi Too - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- INF Mark DeRosa Rehabbing with Potomac Tonight - Potomac Nationals
- Bundy Selected to Futures All-Star Game - Frederick Keys
- Carlos Sanchez Selected to All-Star Futures Game - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans Face Bundy Saturday in Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.