Pelicans Two-Hit Keys to Start Second HalfJune 21, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Trailing 2-1 in the eighth, the Pelicans rallied with three consecutive hits off relievers Ryan Berry and Clay Schrader. Christian Villanueva began the rally with a one out double. Vin DiFazio then drove him in with an RBI single to right, tying the game at two. Berry was lifted at that point, but the damage continued with a single up the middle off Schrader from Tomas Telis. DiFazio scored for a 3-2 lead.
Pitching took over from there for Myrtle Beach. The Pelicans allowed only two hits in the game, with starter Wilmer Font earning his first quality start since his 2010 Tommy John surgery. Font went six innings, allowing one run on one hit, a Steven Bumbry double, in the third. The run came home after Bumbry was sacrificed to third. He scored on a wild pitch.
The second hit for Frederick was a solo homer from Ty Kelly off reliever Jimmy Reyes. The Keys third baseman scored to make it a 2-1 Frederick lead at that point. There were no other orange and black hits.
Myrtle Beach's first run came in the sixth on a DiFazio infield single to score Teodoro Martinez. Cafe had reached on a single earlier in the sixth, extending his hitting streak to 13 games, nine shy of Odubel Herrera's team record 22.
There were also two transactions announced before the game, with Pelicans all-star Cody Buckel and outfielder Jared Hoying getting the call to Double-A Frisco. Announcements about who will replace them will come in the morning.
The series between Frederick and Myrtle Beach continues Friday at 7pm with Kyle Hendricks starting against Tim Berry, a lefty. Radio coverage begins at 6:45 with PElicans Pregame on FOX Sports 1050 AM and 101.9FM, online at MyrtleBeachPelicans.com and via your smart phone with the TuneIn Radio App.
Carolina League Stories from June 21, 2012
- P-Nats Walk-Off in Extras to Start Second Half - Potomac Nationals
- Mudcats Overwhelm Blue Rocks, 7-3 - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Aguilar, Wolters Shine in Rout of Blue Rocks - Carolina Mudcats
- Unearned Run Pushes Potomac to Win in 10th - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Stumble Late for Seventh Consecutive Loss - Frederick Keys
- Pelicans Two-Hit Keys to Start Second Half - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Epic Rain Postpones Second-Half Opener - Salem Red Sox
- 'Cats and Sox Postponed Due to Weather - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Ventura to Play in Futures Game, Myers & Odorizzi Too - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- INF Mark DeRosa Rehabbing with Potomac Tonight - Potomac Nationals
- Bundy Selected to Futures All-Star Game - Frederick Keys
- Carlos Sanchez Selected to All-Star Futures Game - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans Face Bundy Saturday in Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.