BlueClaws Begin 2nd Half with Bang, Win 5-3June 21, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lakewood BlueClaws
Starting pitcher Ervis Manzanillo allowed one run in six innings for his first victory of the season. He is now 1-5 and has allowed just three runs in his last 12.0 innings pitched spanning two starts.
Alejandro Villalobos needed just two pitches to put a run on the scoreboard for the BlueClaws in the top of the 1st inning. The second baseman connected down the leftfield line for his first home run of the season for a 1-0 Lakewood lead. It was the first time a BlueClaw had led-off a game with a homer since the 2009 S.A.L. Championship Series when Anthony Gose began Game 1 with one.
Chris Duffy went 3-for-4 with a run scored and two, run-scoring doubles to pace the early offense for the BlueClaws. He is now 10-for-19 (.526) in his last six games with three doubles, four RBI and three runs scored. He has reached base safely in all 24 games in which he has appeared for the BlueClaws and has hit safely in 22 of those.
The BlueClaws and Suns will continue their four-game series Friday at Municipal Stadium. Ramon Oviedo (1-4, 9.27) has lost his last four starts but will start for Lakewood, and he will be opposed by Hagerstown's Taylor Hill (6-4, 4.41).
First pitch for Friday's game is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Listen to all the action on WOBM 1160-AM and WOBM 1310-AM beginning at 6:50 p.m. with the BlueClaws Beat pre-game show.
South Atlantic League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Intimidators Sneak Past Shorebirds 6-5 in 11 Innings - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Notch 12-6 Come-From-Behind Win - Greenville Drive
- Jackets Down Gnats in Wild 9-8 Game Thursday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- 'Dads take down 'Hoppers, 6-3, to open 2nd Half - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Greenville Rally Buries RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Overcomes Early Deficit, Beats Legends 9-4 - Lexington Legends
- Pangilinan's GW Single Beats 'Birds in 11th - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power bests Lexington Legends 9-4 - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets pick up 9-8 win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Braves Use Hot Start to Cool Tourists; 7-3 - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Squeezed by Blue Claws 5-3 - Hagerstown Suns
- BlueClaws Begin 2nd Half with Bang, Win 5-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Former GreenJackets to Play in Futures Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns' Meyer to Represent U.S. in MLB Sirius XM All-Star Futures Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Former Shorebirds to Play in Futures Game - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Savannah Makes Roster Moves - Savannah Sand Gnats
- LHP Walters Promoted to Winston-Salem - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Kannapolis - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Taillon Selected for All-Star Futures Game - West Virginia Power
- Melissa Azevedo Named Finalist for Local Influential Women in Business Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rockies Promote Cleary Jr., Send Laruent to Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.