Norfolk Pitchers Dominate Buffalo in 3-1 VictoryJune 20, 2012 - International League (IL) Norfolk Tides
Jamie Moyer, Steve Johnson and Miguel Socolovich combined on the gem as the Tides improved to 5-2 on the current homestand. The 14 strikeouts tied a season-high, previously set on April 30 vs. Durham.
Moyer was solid in his third outing with the Tides, as he surrendered one run on three hits in four innings of work. The 49-year-old struck out four without walking a batter, although he needed 77 pitches to navigate his four frames. He has now posted a 1.69 ERA (3-ER, 16.0-IP) with 16 strikeouts and zero walks since joining Norfolk on June 9.
Johnson (2-5) picked up the win in relief, as he struck out six in three shutout innings of relief. He yielded two hits and two walks in the outing as he lowered his ERA to 3.05.
Socolovich backed up Johnson with four strikeouts over two perfect innings of relief to register his first save of the season. He's now posted a 0.62 ERA with six hits, one walk and 19 strikeouts over his last 14.1 innings.
With five shutout innings of relief, Norfolk's bullpen has pitched to a 0.65 ERA (2-ER, 28.1-IP) over the current homestand.
Buffalo jumped out to a second inning lead on a solo homer by Matt Tuiasosopo, but Norfolk knotted the score in the fourth on a two-out single by Blake Davis.
The Tides took the lead for good in the fifth frame as Nate McLouth belted a one-out homer off of former Oriole farmhand Pedro Beato (3-2). The blast was McLouth's second since joining the Tides on June 8.
The Tides added to their lead in the eighth inning on an RBI single by L.J. Hoes, his third single of the contest.
The Tides will wrap up their homestand Thursday afternoon, with first pitch from Harbor Park slated for 12:15. Zach Britton (1-1, 6.89) will take the hill for Norfolk against right-hander Jeurys Familia (5-3, 4.50).
International League Stories from June 20, 2012
- Indians Beat Gwinnett 10-2 for Fourth-Straight Win - Indianapolis Indians
- G-Braves Routed by Indianapolis, 10-2 - Gwinnett Braves
- PawSox Collapse and Lose Third Straight - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Hoffpauir, Chiefs Rally for Extra-Inning Win - Syracuse Chiefs
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Rochester 7, Durham 6 - Rochester Red Wings
- Norfolk Pitchers Dominate Buffalo in 3-1 Victory - Norfolk Tides
- IronPigs Edge Hens, 2-1 - Toledo Mud Hens
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Seeks Assistance in Renaming Team - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Wednesday, June 20 vs. Durham (Rays) - Rochester Red Wings
- Two Late Runs Send Columbus to 5-3 Win over Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Mud Hens & Kroger Host "Food Drive Fridays" - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Norfolk (7:15 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Yankees Plan Tokach Field Takeover - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Carrasco Added to G-Braves Bullpen - Gwinnett Braves
- Another Bats Comeback as Louisville Beats Yankees 5-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.