Rainiers Stumble Against Reno, 7-3June 20, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
The Rainiers were up 3-2 before surrendering an insurmountable five runs to the Aces in the top of the ninth inning. First baseman Ryan Wheeler scored the tying run on a wild pitch thrown by Steve Delabar and the go-ahead run came courtesy of missed catch error committed by catcher Adam Moore on a play at home plate.
Outfielder Adam Eaton increased the Aces lead to 5-2 after plating A.J. Pollock from third base on a ground out to the shortstop. Second baseman Jake Elmore rounded out the frame with two-out, two-run triple one batter later.
The late-inning theatrics came after Rainiers outfielder Trayvon Robinson broke up a 2-2 tie in the eighth with a two-out solo home run off Jensen Lewis that gave the Rainiers a one-run edge.
Tacoma initially held a 2-0 lead after Alex Liddi and Carlos Peguero hit back-to-back solo home runs off pitching prospect Trevor Bauer with two outs in the third inning.
As a team, the Rainiers combined to collect nine hits, with Liddi and Mike Wilson each turning in two-hit performances.
The reliever Delabar was dealt his first loss with the Rainiers this season after allowing five runs - one earned - on three hits through a combined 1.0 inning of work over the eighth and ninth. Starter Andrew Carraway held the Aces to two runs on four hits over 6.0 innings without issuing a walk and fanning five.
The Rainiers (29-42) play the second leg of the team's four-game series with the Aces (44-28) at 7:05 p.m. tomorrow, June 20. Right-hander Jeff Marquez (4-8, 6.91) is slated to start for Tacoma against Reno right-hander Joe Martinez (6-3, 5.07).
Every Rainiers game can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available to be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email email@example.com. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 20, 2012
- Isotopes 8th Inning Rally too Much for Zephyrs - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Gonzalez's Walk-Off Shot Sinks RedHawks - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Cubs De-"Rale" Express - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Fall to Iowa 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk off against RedHawks on Gonzalez Homer - Nashville Sounds
- Hicks Stays Hot, River Cats Beat Grizzlies 10-7 - Sacramento River Cats
- Chasers Outslugged by the Redbirds, 13-9, on Wednesday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Rainiers Stumble Against Reno, 7-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Use 9th-Inning Rally to Top Rainiers, 7-3 - Reno Aces
- Carpenter Holds Down Padres - Tucson Padres
- 'Topes Ninth Inning Rally Comes up Short in 9-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Cats Power Past Grizzlies, 5-2 - Sacramento River Cats
- Sox Nearly Notch 5th No-Hitter in Franchise History - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.