Larry Greene breaks through, but bats quiet in Cutters' first loss of 2012June 19, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Williamsport Crosscutters
State College struck first in the bottom of the first inning, but Williamsport took a 2-1 lead in the third inning. Roman Quinn took third on an infield groundout then came home when Spikes First Baseman Jared Lakind's throw went wide. Larry Greene then drove home Chris Serritella on a line-drive double to the warning track in right-center field. It was the first hit of Greene's professional career.Cutter starter Ulises Joaquin was effective, at one point retiring 11 straight batters, but his lead was blown by reliever Jim Birmingham. With the bases loaded in the sixth inning, Ryan Hornback chopped an infield single to Mitch Walding, whose throw was too low for First Baseman Serritella. The Spikes scored two runs on the play and took a 3-2 lead.
State College extended their lead to 5-2 in the seventh inning on an RBI triple by Jodaneli Carvajal down the right field line and a groundball single up the middle from Raul Fortunato.
Birmingham took the loss, allowing 2 runs in 0.1 innings. Serritella reached base three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and a run. Greene was 1-for-4 on the night.
Williamsport plays Game 3 of the Saw-Buck Series Wednesday in a 7:05pm matchup at Bowman Field. Every Cutters game can be heard on ESPN Radio 104.1 FM, ESPN 1050 AM, or online at crosscutters.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from June 19, 2012
- Doubledays Win Home Opener 8-7 over Muckdogs - Auburn Doubledays
- Carvajal, Fortunato Team up to Help Spikes Top 'Cutters - State College Spikes
- Tigers Cruise to 11-4 Win; Split Opening Series - Connecticut Tigers
- Vermont Uses 5-Run 5th Inning To Beat Tri-City 7-4 On Tuesday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Three Scrappers errors lead to first loss of season - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Larry Greene breaks through, but bats quiet in Cutters' first loss of 2012 - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Spinners, Rolling Thunder to Unveil POW/MIA Unoccupied Seat Tuesday Night, June 19 - Lowell Spinners
- Cyclones Host WWE Superstars for Anti-Bullying Night - Brooklyn Cyclones
- IronBirds Home Opener Set for Wednesday at Ripken Stadium - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Perez's Four RBI Lead Doubledays to Opening Night Win - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.