Eastview High School Wins 3A State ChampionshipJune 19, 2012 - American Association (AA) St. Paul Saints
Six different players on the Eastview High School Baseball Team were also members of Saints Sports Academy Developmental Team, three that were on the 18U Strawberry team that went undefeated in February at the 2nd Annual Treasure Coast President's Day Challenge in Vero Beach Florida and three from the 17U Morris Team.
Evan DeCovich brought back memories of his complete game shutout at the President's Day Challenge. In front of 5,450 at Target Field on Monday DeCovich was nearly unhittable tossing a complete game, two-hit shutout while walking one and striking out five. He only allowed one runner as far as third, which occurred in the sixth, but he got a fly out to end the inning. On the offensive side DeCovich collected two of the four Eastview hits and scored the only run of the game. He led off the second inning with a double, was sacrificed to third and scored on a ground out.
Cameron Hall and Austin Hebig also represented the Saints Developmental 18 U Strawberry Team on Eastview's Championship squad. Hall went 1-3 and was All-Conference in the very tough South Suburban Section and Conference. Hebig went 0-2, but made a great play in the final inning against Bemidji to prevent an infield single and was named All-Section.
Three players from the Saints Developmental 17U Morris team also play for Eastview. First baseman AJ Stockwell, catcher/second baseman Rhett Hebig and pitcher/third baseman Grant Martinson were all key contributors in Eastview's 23-4 record during the season. Stockwell drove in the Championship Games only run with an RBI ground out and was named All-Tournament.
"The entire Saints Sports Academy couldn't be more proud of these young men," said Lamarr Rogers, Saints Sports Academy Director and St. Paul Saints Hitting Coach. "They played a tremendous team in a big league environment and came away as champions. Our congratulations go out to the players representing the Developmental Teams and the entire Eastview High School ballclub."
The Saints Sports Academy Developmental Teams are a year-round program that will help train ballplayers ages 12-18 and make them competitive as they take steps up the athletic ladder. The biggest benefits of the program involve working out inside the 32,000 square-foot Saints Sports Academy during winter months, playing on a team that will travel to tournaments across the U.S. and getting instruction and top-of-the-line video analysis from professional ballplayers and coaches.
American Association Stories from June 19, 2012
- Lemurs Let One Slip Away - Laredo Lemurs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Pheasants Win Fifth in a Row - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Jarvis Goes Distance in 6-0 X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Jarvis Shuts down RedHawks, Sioux City wins 6-0 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Kansas City Defeats El Paso in Game Two of Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Mackey Rights Ship for the 'Dogs in 5-2 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Fish Fall Again to the Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Offense A No Show As T-Bones Rout Diablos - El Paso Diablos
- Committee Loss for Saints, 5-2 to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Ziegler, Pitching Great against Sox - Wichita Wingnuts
- Big first inning by Wingnuts stifles Sox in 7-1 loss - Amarillo Sox
- AirHogs Set New Franchise Mark with 10th Straight Victory - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Eastview High School Wins 3A State Championship - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Outlast Boulders in 11 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Wingnuts Sign Owner Nate Robertson - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.