Lugnuts close out historic half with 9-2 routJune 17, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
The Lugs began their 17th season with a record-setting seven-game winning streak and finished by inscribing a new franchise record for wins in a half at 47.
The Lugnuts never looked back after a six-run third inning against All-Star Jarret Martin (Loss, 3-5) who struggled with his command in 2 1/3 innings. The lefty allowed six runs on one hit - Pillar's grand slam - and a career-high-tying six walks.
Gustavo Pierre added an RBI triple in the fifth inning and Andy Burns smashed his first home run in nearly a month leading off the seventh.
Lugnuts starter Aaron Sanchez worked four innings and allowed just one unearned run while striking out five and walking a career-high five batters.
Blake McFarland worked two innings out of the bullpen and allowed just one run on four hits. Tyler Ybarra (Win, 1-2) followed by striking out four in two hitless innings of work.
The Lugs finished the half with a highlight reel double play.
With All-Star closer Ajay Meyer on the mound, the Loons put runners at first and third with one out for their own All-Star, slugger O'Koyea Dickson. Meyer coaxed a bouncer up the middle, handled by shortstop Burns, who glove-flipped to second baseman Shane Opitz. Opitz bare-handed the toss and converted the pivot to end the game and the half in stunning fashion.
The Lugnuts' next home game will take place on Friday, June 22nd, opening the second half with a three-game series against the Great Lakes Loons. The game features a special Kids Eat Free special, with all kids 12 years of age and younger receiving a free hot dog, bag of potato chips and fountain drink, and postgame LAFCU Fireworks.
Tickets are available for purchase online at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
Midwest League Stories from June 17, 2012
- Kernels Sweep Kane County, 5-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hill's 2-Run Homer Gives Bandits Another Walkoff Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Quad Cities cracks walkoff homer to beat Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Silver Hawks Drop First-Half Finale - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Loons Drop Midseason Finale - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Take Series - Beloit Snappers
- Lugnuts close out historic half with 9-2 rout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Fort Wayne Ends First Half with 9-3 Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Finish First Half by Sweeping TinCaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Finish Half 35-34 with 10-5 Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Swept to End First Half - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Close out First Half with 5-3 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Keith Castillo Added to Hot Rods Roster - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Errors Cost Captains First Half Finale - Lake County Captains
- Kernels win third in a row, 7-5, over Kane County - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.