RSL Match Preview: Real Salt Lake at Chivas USAJune 15, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Real Salt Lake
Real Salt Lake looks to continue its best start in club history and extend the active six-game MLS unbeaten streak in a rematch against the only league visitor to have won this year at Rio Tinto Stadium. Back on March 24, in the season's third match, RSL fell 0-1 to Chivas despite dominating most of the match. Chivas USA striker Casey Townsend poked home a loose ball in the box in the 72nd minute, after a cross at the top of the six caused RSL GK Nick Rimando to collide with both RSL DF Chris Schuler and Townsend.
Saturday's match is the first in yet another three-game, eight-day span - Real Salt Lake's fourth of the season - this time against the league's trio of Californian clubs (home vs. Los Angeles Galaxy on Wednesday, June 20 and vs. San Jose Earthquakes on Sat., June 23). This stretch commences a run of nine MLS games in the next 35 days, with Claret-and-Cobalt manager Jason Kreis welcoming the return of RSL internationals MF Kyle Beckerman & GK Nick Rimando (United States), FW ï¿½lvaro SaborÃ-o (Costa Rica) and MF Will Johnson (Canada).
How to Follow Real Salt Lake v. Chivas USA
- Kickoff: 8:30 p.m. MT at The Home Depot Center in Carson, CA
- TV: ABC4 w/ Bill Riley & Brian Dunseth (pre-game coverage at 8:00 p.m.)
- English Radio: ESPN700 AM / ESPN700Sports.com
(Pre/post game coverage with James Rust & James Edward)
- Spanish Radio: La Gran D 102.3 FM & Juan 1600-AM with Nelson Moran & Fernando Hortal
- Online : Live updates via the @RSLkickoff gameday Twitter Feed and
RSL History v. Chivas USA
In the eight-year history between Real Salt Lake and expansion brethren Chivas USA, the goats have obtained seven home wins at The Home Depot Center, for an overall record of 3-7-1, last beating RSL in May of 2009, when Paulo Nagamura scored the 1-0 win in the 54th minute. However, RSL's seven all-time road wins at the venue - including a 3-1 win over the LA Galaxy in the 2012 season opener - means that nearly 1/3 of RSL's 22 regular-season road wins have come in Carson.
The clubs' last encounter on March 24 this season broke RSL's five-game unbeaten streak versus Chivas, dropping the overall record to 8-10-5 all-time. Last year, RSL posted two 1-0 wins over Chivas USA: the first on May 7 (Will Johnson 87'), infamous for a horrific left ankle injury suffered by MF Javier Morales, and the second on August 27, in which FW ï¿½lvaro SaborÃ-o's 11th-minute goal held up despite RSL having to play a man down for the final 66 minutes (Nat Borchers red card).
Major League Soccer Stories from June 15, 2012
- Forward David Estrada Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Loans Duran to Atlanta Silverbacks - Seattle Sounders FC
- RSL Match Preview: Real Salt Lake at Chivas USA - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Resumes MLS Play on Saturday against Toronto FC - Sporting Kansas City
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - June 16 vs. FC Dallas - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Hosts Seattle Sounders FC Saturday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC to Host French Ligue 1 Champions Montpellier HSC on July 24 - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.