Rascals Fall from First as Comeback Falls ShortJune 14, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
Joliet scored three unearned runs off Rascal starter Keli'i Zablan (2-2) in the first two innings on three Rascals errors, taking a 1-0 lead in the first before the Rascals responded with two runs on three-straight two-out hits from Josh Workman, Charlie Lisk, and Jason Patton. The Slammers (13-12) took the lead back with two runs in the second and added three off reliever Doug Shields in the seventh to stretch the lead to 6-2. River City (15-10) flashed the leather in the fourth to keep runners off the bases with a line drive snag from Bobby Burk and a diving catch in left-center from Curran Redal.
Joliet starter Tommy Mendoza (3-1) set down 13-straight to end his night after seven innings and only four hits allowed but River City got to reliever Brian Smith for the three runs in the eighth.
Kyle Jones and Redal reached ahead of Workman who doubled off the wall in left-center and was followed by a pinch-hit single from Jeremy Synan who extended his hitting streak to 15 games with the RBI. Synan was called on to hit for catcher Zach Deutscher who entered the game for Charlie Lisk after he was tossed out of the game for arguing balls and strikes while behind the plate.
The Rascals worked two walks and an infield single in the ninth but a caught stealing erased one base runner before Redal flew out to center field to end the game.
The loss for the Rascals, coupled with a Schaumburg win, knocks the Rascals out of first place since May 22nd.
River City sends Nick Kennedy (1-1, 3.86) to the mound to make his first professional start on Friday against Jim Schult (1-1, 6.61) for the Slammers.
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2012
- Miners Win in Extras at Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts fall to Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Fall from First as Comeback Falls Short - River City Rascals
- Slammers Hold Steady for One-Run Victory - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Continue to Win, Beat Washington in Series Opener - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Rally to Defeat CornBelters in Normal - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Rally to Beat RiverHawks 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Otters Lose 3-1 Tonight against London - Evansville Otters
- Crushers drop first place Beach Bums - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Rally to Take Series Opener - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters lose a heartbreaker - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers rally to beat RiverHawks, 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Crushers Take Series Opener - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Richmond Helps Rippers Snap Losing Streak - London Rippers
- June 14 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Stadium to Host High School Showcase Friday - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals Home Stand Packed with Entertainment - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.