Crushers Take Series OpenerJune 14, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Traverse City Beach Bums
The Beach Bums got on the board with the first run of the game in the fourth inning when with runners on first and second, Chris Kay bounced a ground-rule double over the fence in left to give TC a 1-0 lead. It was a shortlived lead, however, as a bases loaded walk by Robby Kuzdale forced in a run to tie the game.
Lake Erie would take the lead in the sixth on a double from Rogelio Noris scored Russell Moldenhauer to make it 2-1. The Crushers would get two runs in the seventh and one in the ninth to eventually push the lead to 5-1.
Traverse City didn't cave in though as with one out in the ninth, Travis Higgs singled. Kay came up next and drove his third homerun of the season out to left to make it a 5-3 score. That was as close as the Beach Bums would get, unfortunately, as Mickey Jannis was able to retire the final to batters to close the game.
Alex Loftin (1-0) earned the win with five innings of one run ball. Jannis picked up his second save of the year. Jason Mattila (1-1) took the loss for Traverse City.
Game two the of series comes up on Friday as Brooks Belter (2-0, 3.22) takes the hill for the Beach Bums against Eric Gonzalez-Diaz (1-3, 4.77) for the Crushers. It is Elvis Night and a FANtastic Fireworks Friday at Wuerfel Park. Elvis tribute artist Jake Slater will perform both a pregame and postgame concert. The first fans in the ballpark will receive free Elvis tribute sunglasses courtesy of the Beach Bums. A FANtastic fireworks display will follow the game as well. Game time is set for 7:05 p.m. For tickets call 943-0100 or visit www.tcbeachbums.com.
Keep tabs on the Beach Bums and the latest news by following on Twitter @beachbumstc, find us on Facebook or sign up to receive the Beach Bums newsletter right to your inbox!
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2012
- Miners Win in Extras at Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts fall to Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Fall from First as Comeback Falls Short - River City Rascals
- Slammers Hold Steady for One-Run Victory - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Continue to Win, Beat Washington in Series Opener - Florence Freedom
- Grizzlies Rally to Defeat CornBelters in Normal - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers Rally to Beat RiverHawks 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Otters Lose 3-1 Tonight against London - Evansville Otters
- Crushers drop first place Beach Bums - Lake Erie Crushers
- Boomers Rally to Take Series Opener - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters lose a heartbreaker - Normal CornBelters
- Boomers rally to beat RiverHawks, 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Crushers Take Series Opener - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Richmond Helps Rippers Snap Losing Streak - London Rippers
- June 14 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Stadium to Host High School Showcase Friday - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals Home Stand Packed with Entertainment - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.