RiverHawks Unable to Complete Sweep, Fall 12-5June 13, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Rockford RiverHawks
Rockford jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first inning on an RBI single by Javier Herrera that scored Brandon Anderson.
Windy City would grab a 2-1 in the bottom of the third inning on a two-run double by Mike Torres that scored Travis Weaver and Chris Wade.
The ThunderBolts would score five runs in the fourth inning off Rockford starter Cory Trudell (0-2). Wade hit a two-run single to extend the lead to 4-1, and Torres would follow him with a single to left that was misplayed by Michael Hur for a two-base error that gave the visitors a 6-1 lead. Brandon Decker's RBI groundout to shortstop would make it 7-1.
Wade would finish the night 4-for-6 with four RBI.
Trudell lasted just four innings, giving up five earned runs on six hits while walking five.
Windy City's Dustin Williams (3-2) picked up the win on the mound, pitching seven strong innings while giving up two earned runs and striking out four.
The RiverHawks would get runs in the fourth and seventh innings to close the gap to 7-3, but the ThunderBolts would get one in the top of the eighth off and three more in the ninth, highlighted by a three-run blast to right field by Chad Cregar, his sixth of the season.
Greg Van Horn launched his first homer of the season, a two-run shot to left center off Matt Costello, in the ninth inning.
Javier Herrera went 2-for-4 to improve his average to a Frontier League-best .411, and Evan Button was 2-for-3 with two runs scored to improve his average to .354.
The RiverHawks finish their homestand with a 3-3 record, and they will now travel to Schaumburg to begin a three-game series beginning Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
The RiverHawks are members of the Frontier League, an independent professional baseball league in its 20th season. Games are broadcast on NTA-FM (100.5) Advertising and ticket information is available by calling (815) 885-2255. Fans can also visit www.rockfordriverhawks.com.
Frontier League Stories from June 13, 2012
- RiverHawks Unable to Complete Sweep, Fall 12-5 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Pound Slammers 9-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Break out to Win Series at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Score Late for Narrow 2-1 Win over Otters - Evansville Otters
- Miners Avoid Sweep with Win over Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Florence Completes Sweep, Defeats London 6-2 - Florence Freedom
- Beach Bums Drop Final Game of Series - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers Sweep Wild Things with 7-2 Victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- 'Belters Complete Sweep of Evansville - Normal CornBelters
- Wild Things Swept by Crushers - Washington Wild Things
- Rippers Swept out of Kentucky - London Rippers
- June 13 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Take Series from Rascals with Day Game Victory - Gateway Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Take Series from Rascals - River City Rascals
- Boomers Return to Action in Schaumburg Thursday - Schaumburg Boomers
- Route 66 Night on Father's Day at Silver Cross Field - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Offer Not Just Father's Day Gift, But Experience Too - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.