Florence Completes Sweep, Defeats London 6-2June 13, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Florence Freedom
LHP Andres Caceres made his fifth start of the year, and arguably his best, as he went a season-high eight innings, not allowing a single earned run on five hits. London's RHP Matt Schimpf also had a solid outing, going six innings, giving up six runs, three of them earned, on nine hits.
For the second straight night, the Freedom tallied double-digit hits as they had 11 in the ballgame. Their first hit came in the 3rd inning when DH Junior Rodriguez singled and eventually came around to score on a Pierre LePage single. The Freedom scored the next inning when Chris Curley belted his team-leading 6th long ball of the season to left center field.
Caceres was brilliant through the first seven innings as he did not allow a hit until the 6th and faced the minimum number of batters through six innings. In the 7th, Caceres received some more run support as Florence scored four times sparked by RBI singles by Rodriguez and LF Ryan Skellie, as well as a passed ball and a few London errors.
The Queens, NY native, Caceres, did not give up an earned run in the ballgame, but in the 8th the Rippers scored twice as DH David Larson singled and 3B Stephen Cardullo walked, both whom came around to score on a Caceres balk, followed by a SS Justin Cuevas single and a throwing error by Lepage. Ryan Skellie was able, however, to show off his arm in left field as he gunned Cuevas down at the plate when he was trying to tag up on a fly ball.
RHP Jose Velazquez entered the game in a non-save situation in the 9th and closed the door on the Rippers, which completed the second series sweep for the Freedom in 2012.
Florence will again host a three-game series against the Washington Wild Things, starting tomorrow at 7:05 pm, as Sean Gregory (1-2) will face up against Washington's Casey Barnes (1-1).
Frontier League Stories from June 13, 2012
- RiverHawks Unable to Complete Sweep, Fall 12-5 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Pound Slammers 9-1 - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Break out to Win Series at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Score Late for Narrow 2-1 Win over Otters - Evansville Otters
- Miners Avoid Sweep with Win over Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Florence Completes Sweep, Defeats London 6-2 - Florence Freedom
- Beach Bums Drop Final Game of Series - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers Sweep Wild Things with 7-2 Victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- 'Belters Complete Sweep of Evansville - Normal CornBelters
- Wild Things Swept by Crushers - Washington Wild Things
- Rippers Swept out of Kentucky - London Rippers
- June 13 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Take Series from Rascals with Day Game Victory - Gateway Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Take Series from Rascals - River City Rascals
- Boomers Return to Action in Schaumburg Thursday - Schaumburg Boomers
- Route 66 Night on Father's Day at Silver Cross Field - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Offer Not Just Father's Day Gift, But Experience Too - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.