Aeros Split Twinbill with Rock CatsJune 13, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
The Aeros (40-21) gained a split in the doubleheader with the Rock Cats, who won game one, 3-1.
In the nightcap, Brett Brach (2-2) pitched shutout baseball through six innings, and was backed with a 4-0 lead, but gave up a run in the seventh and left with the bases loaded. Aeros closer Preston Guilmet came on and retired three straight hitters to put out the fire and post his eighth save.
Neal homered to center in the first inning off Logan Darnell (5-5). It was Neal's first of the season. The Aeros did not score again until the seventh, when Ben Copeland led off with a home run to right, also his first of the year. Nick Weglarz later added a two-run double to make it 4-0.
In the opener, the Aeros committed a season-high three errors, leading to three unearned runs, as they fell 3-1, wrecking a six-game winning streak.
The Rock Cats (35-28) scored two runs in the second inning off Steven Wright (5-3), assisted by Wright's fielding error. Wright worked through five innings, but suffered his third loss of the season.
The Aeros were limited to three hits in the game by Steve Hirschfeld (5-4), who worked the first six innings. He allowed only a two-out home run by Ryan Rohlinger in the fifth.
Caleb Thielbar worked the seventh in game one to earn his fourth save for New Britain.
The Aeros and Rock Cats will conclude the three-game series on Thursday night at 6:35. RHP Paolo Espino (0-2, 3.33) will pitch for Akron. New Britain will counter with RHP Brett Jacobson (0-1, 5.74). All Aeros games are broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM and online at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from June 13, 2012
- 'Wolves Clobber Sens in Game Two - Erie SeaWolves
- Squirrels Win See-Saw Battle, 6-5 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Goins Double Not Enough in 6-5 Loss at Richmond - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Sox Stymie Sea Dogs in 7-0 Shutout - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Give Sea Dogs Hart Attack - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Swept Away by R-Phils, 3-1 & 1-0 - Binghamton Mets
- Thunder Sweep Twin Bill from Altoona, 10-2 and 2-0 - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Split Twinbill with Rock Cats - Akron Aeros
- Curve Thunderstruck in Doubleheader Sweep - Altoona Curve
- Rock Cats Split Doubleheader - New Britain Rock Cats
- 'Wolves Fail to Hold Leads in Game One - Erie SeaWolves
- Fisher Cats and Fisher Cats Foundation Donate More Than $5,000 to Campaign for The Mom's Place - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. New Hampshire - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baseballtown Virtual Tour Unveiled - Reading Fightin Phils
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs Reading Phillies (Doubleheader) - Binghamton Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.