Sounds Hold off RedbirdsJune 13, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Memphis Redbirds
The Sounds held on to a 5-2 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth inning before the Redbirds rallied to get the tying run on base with three consecutive base hits. Ryan Jackson drew a walk with the bases loaded to drive in the first Redbirds run in the ninth while Lou Montanez plated Zack Cox despite grounding into a double play. Jamie Romak popped out to the first baseman to end the game as Memphis fell one run short of heading into extra innings.
Jason Jaramillo led the Sounds going 2-for-4 while collecting three RBI on the day. Pete Kozma went 2-for-3 with two RBI to lead the Redbirds. Both Kozma and Cedric Hunter extended their hit streaks to 10 games in the game, the longest hit streak a Redbird has picked up this season.
Memphis starter Brandon Dickson gave up five runs on 11 hits for his sixth loss on the year, striking out only one in his six innings of work. Nashville starter Claudio Vargas notched his second win allowing two runs on five hits while walking two and striking out five over six innings. Jim Henderson nailed down his fourth save even though he gave up two runs on three hits in his one inning of relief.
The Redbirds welcome New Orleans to town tomorrow night with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The 'Birds hand the ball to left-hander John Gast against Zephyrs fellow lefty Brad Hand. Every Thursday fans can receive half off game day ticket prices with a receipt from Subway, limit four. There will be a $25 Subway gift certificate given away during the game and if the Redbirds win, Subway coupons will be distributed upon exit. For ticket information call 901.721.6000 or visit memphisredbirds.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 13, 2012
- Isotopes Drop Series Finale to Round Rock 5-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express Take Finale at Albuquerque 5-2 - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Express Return Home, Host Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Sox Let Early Lead Slip in 13-5 Loss to Reno - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rainiers Blast Past Salt Lake, 14-10 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Rally for 13-5 Victory over Sky Sox - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Albuquerque Isotopes - Round Rock Express
- Storm Chasers Finish Sweep of I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Take Series from the RedHawks in a 3-0 Shutout - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Iowa Offense Struggles in Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Zephyrs Shutout RedHawks in Finale, 3-0 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Hold off Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Wins, 5-4, to Take Series from Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- 2012 Knothole Club Player Clinic Dates Announced - Salt Lake Bees
- Block Party, Father's Day Celebration Set for Cats Homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- Texas Rangers Announce 40th Anniversary All-Time Team - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: June 13, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Fresno Defeats Sacramento in 13 Innings, 8-7 - Sacramento River Cats
- Las Vegas Tags Tucson Pitching in 9-3 Victory - Tucson Padres
- Isotopes Steamrolled by Express 9-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.