Islanders edge Union in friendly, 3-2June 12, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Philadelphia Union
Union were in control of possession in opening minutes when an early buildup led to a Brian Carroll strike from 20 yards out, that Harrisburg goalie Bryan Holt dove to quickly get a hand on to block. Momentum shifted to the home side and Harrisburg strung together a series of chances that culminated in the first goal of the night. A sliding Garret Pettis, finished a cross from Tom Mellor to put Harrisburg up 1-0 in the 17th minute.
Philadelphia answered before the halftime whistle when Jorge Perlaza received a pass from Michael Lahoud to tie things up at the half 1-1.
Harrisburg took the lead for good in the 55th minute when Yann Ekra scored off a loose ball in the box. Pettis then added another goal, his second of the night, with a strong volley coming at the end of a cross from Mkosana.
Union cut the lead down to one off of a free kick from Kai Herdling. Despite some good chances, the Union were unable to tie up the match.
The clubs will meet again on June 26, 7:30pm for Quarterfinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. Union return to MLS action this Saturday, June 16 7pm vs D.C. United at PPL Park. Tickets are available at philadelphiaunion.com
Major League Soccer Stories from June 12, 2012
- Islanders edge Union in friendly, 3-2 - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake Reserves Capture 1st Win of 2012 Reserve League Play - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Academy Player Called up to the U.S. U-15 Boys' National Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rapids Re-Sign Defender Drew Moor to Multi-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Announce Addition of Club Seats to New Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Rapids Resume Regular Season at Vancouver on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Teams Up with Korrio - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.