Grizzlies Winning Streak Snapped with Loss to RascalsJune 12, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Gateway Grizzlies
The Grizzlies jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning. Jonathan Johnson led off with an infield single and John Shelby walked before Jerod Yakubik drove in Johnson with an RBI single. Chris McClendon brought home two more with a two-run single.
River City (15-8) quickly turned the Gateway (11-12) lead into a five-run deficit after the top of the third. River City picked up five runs on four hits in the second and three runs on two hits in the third. The Rascals hit three home runs in the two innings.
Gateway quickly responded in the bottom of the third with three straight singles from Yakubik, McClendon and Landon Hernandez. Hernandez picked up an RBI and Jon Myers collected an RBI groundout one batter later.
River City led 8-5 until the sixth inning when they picked up a sacrifice fly from former Grizzlie, Charlie Lisk.
The Rascals scored two runs in the eighth to extend their lead to 11-5, but the Grizzlies made things interesting with three runs in the eighth to trim the Rascals lead to three. Antone DeJesus picked up an RBI on a fielder's choice and Yakubik drove in two with a single.
Yakubik paced the Grizzlies offense with a 3-for-5 night and three RBI.
Jonathan Gonzalez (1-2) took the loss for Gateway. He gave up seven runs on six hits in two-plus innings.
The Grizzlies and Rascals play the finale of the series on Wednesday morning at GCS Ballpark. Right-hander Alex Kaminsky (4-0) gets the start for the Grizzlies. First pitch is set for 11:35 A.M.
Frontier League Stories from June 12, 2012
- Grizzlies Winning Streak Snapped with Loss to Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Out-Slug Grizzlies 11-8 - River City Rascals
- Miners Lose Close One to Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Four Run Eighth Propels Traverse City - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Slammers Bounce Back with 8-0 Shutout - Joliet Slammers
- Evansville Rallies Late But Falls Short at Normal - Evansville Otters
- Lee Pitches RiverHawks Past ThunderBolts - Rockford RiverHawks
- Boomers Blanked at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Topple Evansville 5-1 - Normal CornBelters
- Longfellow shines in Lake Erie win - Lake Erie Crushers
- Catapano Frustrates Rippers - London Rippers
- Wild Things on Short End of 8-2 Decision - Washington Wild Things
- June 12 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher from Ohio State - Rockford RiverHawks
- Rascals Release New Concession Item "Arch Nemesis" - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.