Thunder takes second straight win over WingsJune 11, 2012 - North American League (NAL) Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
The WhiteWings. had trailed the Thunder 3-0 since the sixth inning until the eighth when they scored one run on a double by Julio Santana and a fielders choice by Fidel Hernandez for a 3-1 margin.
Then, in the ninth, with two outs, James Mays hit a single, followed by another by Juan Fuentes, scoring Mays.
It was over when Marquez was put out at first.
The two clubs were each scoreless for five innings as WhiteWing pitcher Luis Noel and Thunder lefty Demetrious Banks held the batters at bay.
The Thunder broke the ice when they scored their three runs. Greg Hertle hit a single, Antoin Gray walked and Brian Nichols busted out a triple. Nichols then scored when Gianison Rosa was put out on a fielders choice.
That was all for Noel. He finished with three runs, five hits and three walks. Julio Santana finished out the game. Banks was relieved in the ninth inning.
Although the Wings outhit the Thunder, they were scattered, with hardly any threats until late in the game.
The two clubs play out the four game series -- two in Edinburg and two in Harlingen -- on Tuesday. Luis Chirinos is scheduled to take the mound for the WhiteWings.
They are off on Wednesday, then return to Edinburg for a four-game series with the Thunder.
After than the Fort Worth Cats come to Harlingen for another four-game series.
North American League Stories from June 11, 2012
- Thunder takes second straight win over Wings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Thunder Win Second Straight - McAllen Thunder
- Opening Game in Abilene Postponed - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Prairie Dogs Washed Out - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Colts-Cats Series Opener Rained Out - San Angelo Colts
- Colts Trade De La Garza to Abilene - San Angelo Colts
- Grapes Finish off Pacifics to Even Season Series - San Rafael Pacifics
- Weik and De La Garza scorch San Angelo - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Prairie Dogs Beat Colts, 9-5 - San Angelo Colts
- Roadrunners Split Series with Cats - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Cats Win 5-1 on Late Inning Heroics - Fort Worth Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.