Sounders FC and the UPS Store Team up for Book DriveJune 11, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Seattle Sounders FC
Volunteers from the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation and The UPS Store ©, the exclusive sponsor of the Toys for Tots Literacy Program, will be stationed at all gates to collect books and monetary donations. One-hundred percent of the books and funds collected at the match will benefit economically disadvantaged children in the greater Seattle area through the Toys for Tots Literacy Program.
Sounders FC players including forward David Estrada, defender Patrick Ianni and midfielder Andy Rose shared their favorite books from childhood. The videos can be viewed on the team website.
Fans unable to attend the match may still participate in the book drive by dropping off books or monetary donations at local The UPS Store locations the week leading up to the match, June 13 - 20.
"The thing I love most about the literacy program is that the funds we raise stay right here in our community to help disadvantaged children get the resources they need to succeed in life," said Jack Graham, The UPS Store franchise owner. "Knowing that only 33 percent of fourth graders still can't read at even the basic level really motivates me to help move this important cause forward."
Earlier this spring, The UPS Store network announced that it reached a milestone of raising more than $2 million since the program began in 2008.
As the first year-round initiative of the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, the literacy program offers the nation's most economically disadvantaged children direct access to books and educational resources. This helps enhance their ability to read and communicate effectively, enabling them to compete academically and succeed in life. According to the National Center for Children in Poverty, over 16 million children live in poverty.
Visit SoundersFC.com for additional details and a list of participating The UPS Store locations. For more information about the Toys for Tots Literacy Program, visit toysfortots.org/literacy.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 11, 2012
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC and the UPS Store Team up for Book Drive - Seattle Sounders FC
- 4,000 Tickets Still Available for the Opening Match at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Announce Partnership with JAG Physical Therapy - New York Red Bulls
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls Return to MLS Action, Visit Chicago Fire on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- The Montreal Impact and Kia Canada Inc. Raise Awareness for PROCURE - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Look to Run Past New York Red Bulls - Chicago Fire
- Serie A Champion Juventus to Face Paris Saint-Germain in Montreal as Part of Herbalife World Footbal - MLS
- Dynamo Suffer 3-1 Loss at Vancouver - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.