Prairie Dogs Beat Colts, 9-5June 11, 2012 - North American League (NAL) San Angelo Colts
Tullis (1-1) gave up the four runs on seven hits and struck out three batters in six innings of work to earn his first win of the season. From the second inning through the fifth, Tullis allowed only two base runners.
Down 2-0, the Colts had six men reach base safely in the bottom of the first. Right fielder J.J. Sherrill hit a solo home run, his first of the year, and two batters later designated hitter Cory Patton had an RBI single. Patton and shortstop Landon Camp then scored on Jamar Walton's two-RBI base hit.
Abilene responded with four runs in the second inning, as centerfielder Jason Martin, left fielder Bryan Fogle, second baseman Eddie Brown and former Colt and new Prairie Dogs' shortstop Adam De La Garza all scored.
Colts' starter Stephen Nikonchik (0-1) lasted just two innings and took the loss. He surrendered six runs on five hits and walked three batters in his first career start.
The Prairie Dogs notched three insurance runs in the fifth to put the game out of reach at 9-4. San Angelo mustered one run in the ninth, but Abilene reliever Scott Vander Weg recorded the final out to earn his second save of the year.
The win improves Abilene to 7-10, while the loss drops San Angelo to 9-8.
The Colts begin a two-game series against the Fort Worth Cats Monday at 7:05 p.m. at Foster Field. It is Haircuts in the Park Night, sponsored by SportClips. Gates open at 6:05 p.m.
The San Angelo Colts are a member of United League Baseball who are in their 13th season. Tickets are on sale now, and available at the Colts' front office at Foster Field.
North American League Stories from June 11, 2012
- Thunder takes second straight win over Wings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Thunder Win Second Straight - McAllen Thunder
- Opening Game in Abilene Postponed - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Prairie Dogs Washed Out - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Colts-Cats Series Opener Rained Out - San Angelo Colts
- Colts Trade De La Garza to Abilene - San Angelo Colts
- Grapes Finish off Pacifics to Even Season Series - San Rafael Pacifics
- Weik and De La Garza scorch San Angelo - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Prairie Dogs Beat Colts, 9-5 - San Angelo Colts
- Roadrunners Split Series with Cats - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Cats Win 5-1 on Late Inning Heroics - Fort Worth Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.