Miners Thump RiverHawks 12-3June 9, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Rockford RiverHawks
Javier Herrera's two-out solo homer to left put the RiverHawks up 2-1 in the third inning, but the Miners answered with five runs in the fourth inning to go ahead 6-2, including a three-run homer by Jake Kaase, who went 3-for-6 on the night. Southern Illinois would score four more in the fifth, including a home run by Matt Fields, to go up 10-2.
Brian Fowler (3-0) earned the win on the mound, giving up two runs on seven hits while striking out six in five innings. Rockford starter Eric Rohe (0-1) would take the loss in his professional debut, giving up nine runs on ten hits while striking out four in 4 1/3 innings pitched.
Michael Hur would add a leadoff solo homer, his fourth of the season, in the sixth inning off reliever Ben Shivers to cut the deficit to 10-3, but the Miners would add a run in the seventh inning and one in a ninth inning that saw the RiverHawks commit four errors. Rockford committed six errors in the game.
Steven Anderson made his professional debut as a replacement in left field, going 0-for-2 at the plate.
The RiverHawks will send righty Drew Rucinski to the mound tomorrow to make his first start of the season in the final game of the series against the Miners. Rucinski has appeared in six contests out of the bullpen this season, going 1-1 with a 4.63 ERA. The Miners will counter with righty Dave Harden (3-1, 2.63 ERA), with a first pitch set for 3:05 p.m.
Tomorrow is YMCA Family Day. Kids (ages 3-12) get in for $2 and have the opportunity to run the bases after the game as well as get autographs from RiverHawks' players.
The RiverHawks are members of the Frontier League, an independent professional baseball league in its 20th season. Games are broadcast on NTA-FM (100.5) Advertising and ticket information is available by calling (815) 885-2255. Fans can also visit www.rockfordriverhawks.com.
Frontier League Stories from June 9, 2012
- Boomers Hang on for 6-5 Win on Cancer Survivors' Night - Schaumburg Boomers
- Big Seventh Inning for Rippers Dooms Joliet - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Hit Their Way to Victory over Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Thump RiverHawks 12-3 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Traverse City Rallies Late for 11-5 Win against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Throttle Evansville Bullpen - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts beat Florence 4-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Shutout Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Brodin's Blast Catapults London - London Rippers
- Grizzlies Cruise by Crushers for Second Consecutive Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things drop Game Two - Washington Wild Things
- Normal wins second road game, 4-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Host Striking out Cancer on Monday - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher, Will Start Tonight - Rockford RiverHawks
- When the Wild Things Are Away, Country Music Will Play - Washington Wild Things
- June 9 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Win in Comeback Fashion against Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Six-Run Ninth Beats RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.