TinCaps Drop Series Opener, 9-3June 9, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Matt Wisler started for Fort Wayne, working five innings and allowing one earned run on three hits. The 19-year-old walked one and struck out six. In his last two outings, the Bryan, Ohio, native has gone 10 innings, allowed one run, walked two and struck out 14.
He received an immediate boost of offense as both Travis Whitmore and Yeison Asencio hit solo home runs in the first inning. Fort Wayne (28-34) carried the 2-0 lead into the fifth inning. Wisler allowed his only run in that frame, and departed in line for the victory.
Chris Haney (0-1), added to the TinCaps roster on Friday, surrendered three earned runs in the sixth inning. Run-scoring hits by Tom Belza, Matt Helm and Marc Bourgeois pushed the score in favor of South Bend (32-30), making it 4-2. The scoring continued in the seventh inning against Dennis O'Grady, as he allowed four runs to score. One of those runs was unearned, though, as Donavan Tate committed an error, dropping a fly ball in center field.
Trailing 8-2, the TinCaps plated one run in the seventh inning on a sacrifice fly from Kyle Gaedele. South Bend scored another unearned run in the ninth against O'Grady, as shortstop Jace Peterson committed a two-out error.
Silver Hawks starter J.R. Bradley earned the victory, his third of the season. The Nitro, WV, native worked six innings, allowed two earned runs on six hits, struck out two and walked none.
The TinCaps look to even the series on Sunday afternoon at Parkview Field. The scheduled starters are Ruben Mejia for Fort Wayne and Archie Bradley for South Bend. First pitch is scheduled for 3:05 PM.
Midwest League Stories from June 9, 2012
- O'Sullivan, Dickson Star in Loons' Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Grammar, Bees Fall Short, Lose 6-3 to Bandits - Burlington Bees
- Kernels clip Clinton, 4-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers shutout Beloit; Close in on playoff spot - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Peoria scores four in the first inning - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Use Late Rally to Get Road Win over Bees - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Burke Brilliant as Cougars Fall - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Drop Series Opener, 9-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Capture 1st Half Eastern Division Title - Lansing Lugnuts
- Lansing Clinches the First Half with Win over Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Vault past Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Five-Run Fifth Inning Keeps Hot Rods Rolling - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Brett Named Rays May Player of the Month - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Alexander Returns, Pounders to Wilmington - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for June 9 - Dayton Dragons
- Peoria sweeps Kernels, 4-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Floethe's Dominance Wins Series for Hot Rods - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.