Cougars Sweep River BanditsJune 8, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Kane County Cougars
Calixte tripled to begin the bottom of the second against lefty Jonathan Cornelius (1-2). Calixte scored on a lined single to right off the bat of Tim Ferguson to put the Cougars (33-28) up, 1-0. Kenny Swab walked ahead of Ferguson and scored on a sac fly from Justin Trapp to make it, 2-0.
Angel Baez only lasted four-plus innings before leaving the game with an apparent injury. He allowed a run on three hits with Quad Cities (29-32) picking up their only tally in the top of the fourth on a wild pitch to score Juan Castillo. Jonathan Dooley (2-0) replaced Baez and didn't allow a baserunner over three innings while striking out two.
Kane County extended their advantage in the fourth when Calixte launched a ball to deep left for his team-leading ninth home run of the season. Dean Espy followed up with a two-bagger and scored on a Swab single which included an error by left fielder Virgil Hill. Rudy Brown made his Cougar debut on the mound with a scoreless eighth inning while Matt Ridings (S, 2) tossed a perfect ninth.
The Cougars hit the road for the next six with the first of a three-game series against the Peoria Chiefs on Saturday night from O'Brien Field at 6:30. Left-hander Scott Alexander (2-2) starts for the Cougars against fellow southpaw Kyler Burke (1-2). You can listen to the broadcast on AM 1280 WBIG and www.kccougars.com, beginning with Cougars on Deck at 6:15 p.m. The Cougars return to Fifth Third Bank Ballpark on Friday, June 15 when they take on the Cedar Rapids Kernels at 6:30 p.m. For tickets, please call (630) 232-8811 or visit www.kccougars.com.
Midwest League Stories from June 8, 2012
- Bees Shut Out, 7-0 to Beloit - Burlington Bees
- Hawks Blanked in Series Finale with Loons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Miller time for the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Sweep Kernels in Record Setting Fashion - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Fall to Cougars, Suffer First Sweep of 2012 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Sweep River Bandits - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Enjoy Big Inning, Beat Dragons 14-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Floethe, Hot Rods blank Lugnuts, 3-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rea Leads TinCaps to 5-0 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Epic Eighth Inning Elevates Captains to the Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Reds Bill Bray Scheduled to Pitch for Dragons Saturday, Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 9-14 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Gameday for June 8 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps, Minor League Baseball See Attendance Increases - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappy D. Turtle Makes Elite 8 in MiLB Mascot Mania - Beloit Snappers
- Lou E. Loon Advances to the Elite 8 - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria blanks Kernels, 2-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.