Kernels shut out at Peoria, 4-0June 7, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
Gerardo Conception (2-4) started for the Chiefs and held the Kernels hitless through 5.1 innings. Trailing 1-0, Ryan Jones picked up the first hit in the 6th inning as he beat out an infield single that was hit up the middle and backhanded by Chiefs second baseman Zeke DeVoss. Kaleb Cowart then followed with an infield single for the second hit. Concepcion allowed no runs on two hits while striking out four and walking four.
Reliever Starling Peralta then walked Andy Workman to load the bases in the 6th inning with two outs. Trevor Hairgrove grounded a ball sharply deep to short, but it was gloved by shortstop Javier Baez and thrown to first base to get Hairgrove and end the inning.
Down 4-0, the Kernels had scoring threats in the 8th and 9th innings, but were unable to score. In the 8th inning, Kaleb Cowart and Frazier Hall singled with one out to put runners at the corners, but then reliever Austin Reed struck out Andy Workman and Trevor Hairgrove to end the inning.
In the 9th inning, Carlos Lugo doubled off of Austin Reed with one out. Reed then walked Chevy Clarke and Kevin Moesquit before exiting the ballgame. Yao-Lin Wang came on and induced a 1-2-3 double play off the bat of Ryan Jones to end the ballgame. Wang recorded his 6th save of the season.
Both teams drew two walks in the 1st inning, but Peoria scored the only run when Zeke DeVoss scampered home on a wild pitch by Kernels starter Eswarlin Jimenez to give the Chiefs a 1-0 lead.
Peoria added three runs in the 6th inning, taking a 4-0 lead. Zeke DeVoss doubled to begin the frame. He came home on Taiwan Easterling's 2-run home run to left field. Later in the inning, Javier Baez's RBI single plated Wes Darvill.
Eswarlin Jimenez (2-4) took the loss for the Kernels, going six innings and allowing four runs on eight hits. He struck out five and walked three. Mike Johnson and Carmine Giardina both pitched scoreless innings.
The Kernels continue the series at Peoria on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. The team returns home on Saturday at 6:35 p.m. to take on Clinton. Fireworks follow the game on Saturday night at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium!
Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com. Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels box office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from June 7, 2012
- Silver Hawks' Rally in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
- Casali Leads Whitecaps To Fifth Straight Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Wash over TinCaps, 11-2 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Clinton cracks Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Win 2-0 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bees Can't Hold On, Lose 4-3 to Snappers - Burlington Bees
- Muller's Game-Winning Hit Lifts Dragons to Fourth Straight Win - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Walk Off in Extras 4-3 - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts Clinch Playoff Berth in Split with Hot Rods - Lansing Lugnuts
- River Bandits' Offense Goes Cold in 4-1 Loss to Cougars - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Rock River Bandits - Kane County Cougars
- Cougar Added to All-Star Roster - Kane County Cougars
- Western All-Star Roster Revised - MWL
- Hot Rods and USA Cares Partner to Benefit Kentucky's Military Families - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Gameday for June 7 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons and Vectren Present 2012 "Community All-Stars" - Dayton Dragons
- Wright, Kemp Are Dragons May Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Announce Major Stadium Renovations for 2013 Season - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels shut out at Peoria, 4-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Captains Change Sunday July 1 Game Time to 7:00, Add Fireworks Show - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.