Smokies Land Four on Southern League All-Star TeamJune 6, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Tennessee Smokies
Players selected for the Southern League All-Star teams are selected by a vote of Southern League field managers, radio broadcasters, general managers and print media. The South Division roster will be announced tomorrow, June 7th. Starting lineups for the North and South Divisions will be released on June 14th and 15th respectively.
Adduci, 27, will make his third appearance on an All-Star team, having being named to both the Florida State League's mid-season and postseason teams in 2008. This season with the Smokies, the outfielder leads the team, and is third in the league, with a .320 batting average (55 H/172 AB). Adduci ranks second on the team in stolen bases (7) and fourth in RBIs (19). The Evergreen Park, Ill. native was originally drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 42nd round of the 2004 draft, and was sent to the Chicago Cubs to complete the deal for RHP Todd Wellemeyer on September 14, 2006.
Batista, 23, is named to an All-Star team for the third time in his young career. The right-handed reliever was named to the FSL mid-season and postseason squads in 2011. This season, Batista has converted all seven of his save opportunities and carries a 1.23 ERA (2 ER/14.2 IP) in 13 appearances. The Cubs named him as the organization's minor league pitcher of the month for April. Batista signed with the Cubs as a non-drafted free agent in 2009.
Bour, 24, heads into the All-Star break as one of the Southern League's big hitters. His 43 RBIs leads the Southern League, and he is also tied for the team lead in home runs (6) and second in doubles (13). Bour joined Batista on the 2011 FSL mid-season and postseason All-Star teams. The Centreville, Va. native was drafted by the Cubs in the 25th round of the 2009 MLB First-Year Player Draft.
Rhoderick, 23, is named to his first All-Star team in only his second season of professional baseball. The right-handed reliever currently holds a 0.79 ERA (2 ER/22.2 IP) with six saves, and has not allowed an earned run since April 18 (12 appearances). The Scottsdale, Ariz. native was drafted by the Cubs in the ninth round of the 2010 MLB First-Year Player Draft.
Southern League Stories from June 6, 2012
- Comeback Falls Short in Series Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Struggle in Clutch in 3-2 Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Patient Smokies Hold off Biscuits to Win Series - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Fall in Pitchers Duel to M-Braves - Huntsville Stars
- Hale Wins Pitchers Duel for M-Braves 1-0 - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Lead North Division with Seven All-Stars Named - Jackson Generals
- Five Lookouts Selected to Represent North Division in the Southern League All-Star Game - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Generals Top Lookouts, 7-4 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Maurer Plus Sams' Grand Salami Give Generals Win - Jackson Generals
- Four Barons Named to 2012 Southern League All-Star Team - Birmingham Barons
- Five Stars Selected to Southern League All-Star Team - Huntsville Stars
- D-Backs Award Elmore and Gorgen with Monthly Honors - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Land Four on Southern League All-Star Team - Tennessee Smokies
- Coaching Staffs, Umpires Announced for 2012 All-Star Game - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Game Information (Wednesday, June 6) - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.